Flying Saucer or a Chin Spin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selfprodigy

Wishes chin poop was gold
Other than price are they about the same? I want to get a saucer but I'm afraid my chin won't get it and it will go to waste. We had a crappy plastic one we tried to get him to run on and he looked at us like we were crazy.

I have wheels with two of my cages and saucers in the other two.The saucer takes a little longer to get the hang of for some, but I have two old guys I got in as rescues and just when I was about to give up on them even trying the saucer(neither one touched it except to hide under it)for over a month.Suddenly one day I caught one of the gentlemen just sitting on it as it was swinging back and forth from him jumping on it.By the next day both were taking turns running like *#*# on it!! My two mosaics love their spin.My violet only uses his spin on occassion.My ebony flys on his saucer!It's hilarious at night sometimes they all get to running/spinning at the same time and even my geriatric hamster gets in her wheel and joins the fun.:laughitup:

My two have saucers and they both use them just fine. I agree that it might take them a while to get used to it, but they'll figure it out. :)

I have both chin spins and saucers. My saucer chins love it and my chin spin chins love that. BUT I have never had to take out a chin spin because a chin couldn't figure out how to use it and I have had to do that with a saucer.

I have the saucer and my chin took to it within a couple of days. I would have loved to have tried the chin spin but they are harder to get here in Canada.

Greetings from Greece! This is my first post so, first of all, I'd like to say hello to everyone. :)
I was aiming to make the exact same question. According to your experience which of them would you say that is "better" to use? Saucer or spin?
I've just had a saucer ordered via internet, and I wouldn't like it if I'm making a mistake. Far more expensive than the spin (add the shipping cost from CA,USA) to throw it away.....

I have both and my chins won't use either! I've seen them try to get the saucer working but they can't figure it out (none of my 10 can!) and the chin spin is just a sleeping place for them all. They all came to me using the wire wheels (which I've taken out) they only type of wheel I can get them to use is the Plastic Silent Spinner made by super pet. Mine have never tried to chew it so I keep using it, if I ever get one that chews it I will try something else I guess. I keep enough chew items in the cage that taste much better then plastic. It's the only solution I've come up with for my little ones because they won't use the saucer or chin spin!

I just got a chin spin for Chipper. He had the 11" wire wheel and I tried the plastic saucer on him. He would just climb up to sniff the top of the cage, then jump back off and lay under it. He loved his wire wheel.

Now he loooves his chin spin! He runs on it, lays on it and lays under it. He gets up in the middle of the day to run on it. It's huge and I had to expand his cage to get it in there but I'm glad I did.

I would have gotten the metal saucer if I hadn't gone through the experience of the plastic one. I say this because of the great reviews on it and the videos of chins using them on youtube. I do think Chipper would have eventually figured it out, but I'm glad I went with the chin spin. I love watching him go into his natural hop-run while running on it.

I have both, I have to say I favor the Saucer more. It is quieter than my Chin Spins and I have had to replace the bearings in all my Chin Spins twice now, and I am also having problems with the powder coating on them chipping off.

HAHAHA!!! I just opened this post and all my guys went into the dueling wheels and saucers routine. They seem to compete between all the different cages to see who can go fastest!Yup even Ms.Kanga the hammie just hope in her wodent wheel(its clicking,probably has a little hammie present in it)!

I made a thread just like this when I was trying to decide and I ended up going with the Chin Spin. My only real complaint about the CS is the coating comes off with sharp teeth (aka my girl). Other than that, my Twilight and Midnight love it (Shadow, my oldest, doesn't want anything to do with it. He's a party pooper).

i dont own either one yet but this is what i have gathered from my short few months on here about them both.

chin spin:
-pretty quiet
-chins take to it pretty quick
-doesnt take up as much room as the flying saucer
-cheaper than the flying saucer
-perfect size for a chinchilla (15'')

flying saucer:
-quieter than the chin spin.
-very big
-takes longer for your chin to learn to use

this is something that i have been debating about too, and i think im going with the chin spin. you can order it without the powder coating also which is what im going to do. good luck. which ever you choose will be a good choice. they are both great wheels

I think I have one of the only chins that hasn't figured out his saucer but he still loves to use it as a slide. He's had it for six months and we leave it in hoping one day he gets it. He is in a FN cage all by himself and runs around that like a crazy chinchilla so I think he's happy getting exercise that way.

When I bought my first chin, she had a chin spin and she LOVEEEEDDDD it. She would really fly on that thing! She slept in it, ate in it, lay on her side and rocked in it, she just adored it. It's great because it takes up way less horizontal space (about 5 inches or so by 15 inches). Chins also pick it up really quickly. The only thing that I hated was that it shook my cage like crazy. No one in the house could sleep at night. I had a lot of trouble stabilizing my cage and trying to quiet it down. It was a QC, so it wasn't a rickety cage either.

When I got a 2nd chin and moved them both into a new QC Townhome, I got a flying saucer. Right off the bat you'll notice it takes up wayyy more cage space (about a square foot, plus a couple extra inches on each side). My first chin that used the chin spin all her life picked it up like nothing. Within hours she was flying. But the second chin who was only 3 months old and wasn't partial to a chin spin didn't pick it up as quickly. She just started running on it today! It took her about a month. For me, the saucer is quieter and easier to stabilize than the CS. You have to assemble it though. The chin spin just hooks onto the cage. I love how much less noisy the saucer is, but it takes up so much more cage space, and I know my first chin misses her chin spin dearly cause she can't lay down and stretch out on the saucer. But because it is so much quieter for me and the chins are in my bedroom, I'll be sticking with the saucer for now.

My chins love the Flying Saucer. In a FN cage, the flying saucer may go further into a cage (being it covers more of a diagonal space) than a vertical wheel, but the FS does allow the placement of a fleece tube above it in the cage, which my chins like. I recommend the standard size one. Also, consider ordering a couple extra u-bolt assemblies....I ended up using 4 on the FN to help minimize noise. This site has the different sizes and the parts. http://www.flyingsaucerwheels.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back