Flying Saucer Noise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
Hey all! I am looking for suggestions on how to make our flying saucer quieter. The cage shakes so much it can actually wake us from a dead sleep! We have it on the top half of our ferret nation cage with 4 support braces. We tried it on the bottom and it was WAY worse. We want our chinnies to have their flying saucer, but we also want our neighbours not to hate us...

Suggestions?

Often stabilizing the saucer by putting wood underneath it can make a good deal of difference and if that doesn't work I have seen some people make a wooden structural support to brace the entire side of the cage (but that's a little extreme and normally with non FN cages). What kind of cage do you have? I have FN 182 and find that if I don't tighten the bolts on the flying saucer really tight it can get noisy and I occasionally have to retighten the bolts holding up their shelves as well. As long as the bolts are as tight as they go (and I keep the cage a bit away from the wall) I don't have any problems with noise, even when they decide to go bananas on it

I have our cage pulled out a wee bit from the wall, and use a block of wood under the arm of ZZ's wheel for extra support.

I have two triple stack FN and one double. I did the full length board down the back and fastened the FS to that. It quieted down the one FS so well that I have since done this on both other cages.It really quieted my down significantly as most of my noise was from the cages shaking when everyone decided to saucer at the same times.LOL

Can you all post pictures, by chance, of what your support looks like? I am having a hard time figuring out where to support it with the Bass pans... THANK YOU!

Especially mercynursie... I really don't understand how you did a full length board.

If you look back at the "need help with noise" thread, you can see the pics that I made awhile back and posted.

I am terrible at getting pictures taken and posted, but I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, we had a 2 x 4 in the garage. We measured from the support arm of the wheel to the bottom of the bass pan and cut it to fit under the arm as a support for the wheel. It's a snug fit, but I can pull it out easily when I am changing out bedding. If that makes sense?

Back