Flooring

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDee

Being new here im sorry if i have posted this in the wrong area but i have a question about flooring for my Chinchilla's.
Does anybody know if olefin floor mats would be dangerous for my Chins?
I come across some in Dollar Tree and they are a perfect size for the bottom of the cages......however of course i do not want to put my Chin in danger if it is not a good idea! At $1.00 a piece i have to ask ;)
Thank you and once again sorry if this is in the wrong place.

If the chin has access to it then no that is not safe, olefin is some sort of plastic rubber material? That will cause a blockage if chewed and swallowed as it's not digestible. Safe bedding for chins are kiln dried pine or aspen shavings, or if your chin doesn't chew fleece, then liners fleece cage liners. Fleece is the only chin safe fabric, but still only safe so long as it's not swallowed. Most chins don't chew fleece, but some do.

I had some 12"x12" ceramic tiles cut to fit all three floors of Rain's condo and I really like how well they work. Cleanup is really simple, I sweet up with a small hand broom and dustpan, and if need be I take them out, Clayton them with a little Windex before I rinse & dry them off before putting them back. The top 2 floors are tiled, but 1/2 of the wire bottom floor is still open because that's where she prefers to go potty. Under the bottom floor is a pull-out tray that is lined with newspaper and has Pine shavings in it. When I sweep her condo out everything falls thru into the pull-out tray switch gets dumped and goes out with the trash every week . This setup works well for me, things stay pretty clean and it makes maintenance really easy.

I had some 12"x12" ceramic tiles cut to fit all three floors of Rain's condo and I really like how well they work. Cleanup is really simple, I sweet up with a small hand broom and dustpan, and if need be I take them out, Clayton them with a little Windex before I rinse & dry them off before putting them back. The top 2 floors are tiled, but 1/2 of the wire bottom floor is still open because that's where she prefers to go potty. Under the bottom floor is a pull-out tray that is lined with newspaper and has Pine shavings in it. When I sweep her condo out everything falls thru into the pull-out tray switch gets dumped and goes out with the trash every week . This setup works well for me, things stay pretty clean and it makes maintenance really easy.
I like this idea!!! thank you something i might look into myself.

Just a quick note... tile and grout are porous. You really should seal it before allowing the chin to be in the cage. If you don't, eventually, the urine will soak in and the tile will start stinking.

Just a quick note... tile and grout are porous. You really should seal it before allowing the chin to be in the cage. If you don't, eventually, the urine will soak in and the tile will start stinking.

Yep this may be true with standard non ceramic tiles, that's why I use ceramic tiles because they are non porous and don't absorb anything. I I check them daily and clean them regularly and thus far I haven't had any problems, I also have spare tiles just in case one gets broke or may need replaced for some reason or another. :)

Back