flooring in cage for chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I usually put tiles on their shelves, but not on the floor. Tiles are slippery and they need somewhere to pee, so I don't think it would be the best idea.

All the floors in my cage are tiled, have been for many years. They all use the potty box to pee.

I had floor tiles in my FN cages for a long while and they were fine.
Made the cage look pretty, too.

Hello,

I have tile on the floor of Lola's cage and it works out really well because she's potty trained. She will only pee in the litter box and I change the litter in the box every day.

It saves on litter as well as keeps the cage floor cooler. I'm actually thinking of swapping out the wood base foor that I cover with tile to granite. The solid surface I think would work well with her potty trained.

The tile makes it easy to use a dust pan and brush to clean up the poop twice a day so the cage stays really clean. I steam clean the tiles (rotate tiles with extras) and it works out great.

If your chin is really particular and pees in a specific spot it is really easy to potty train. I put some soiled litter in the litter box and within 1 day she was trained.

Another vote here for tile floors.

I'm about to cut tiling for the bottom of the cage this week so you can add my vote, they do enjoy their corner that has granite and the one shelf they like to always lounge on it put it there. so i figured id tile the floor and my two are potty trained. :thumbsup:

Tile floors are great as long as you can get your chins potty trained.
I had the first floor of my FF covered with tiles and the second floor with pine boards so I can just vacuum the cage to get the poops / wasted pellets and hays out. Works great!

Anybody with tile floors: pictures please!

Here is the floor, potty box and one shelf

pee.jpg

I had a cage with a wire metal bottom. I ended up putting in a piece of the cover from a light in a drop ceiling. Like plexiglass, acrylic, etc. I still put some bedding in there for her since she isn't potty trained and a piece of granite tile to cool on (though I've never seen her sit or lay on it.). I was afraid that a bunch of tiles would just bend in the center of the floor from the weight.

I love the tile floors! I currently have an extremely large ferret nation cage, I will have to look into a cage that I could put tiles in.. Of course once my chins are potty trained.

Latest posts

Back