Floor time round up question!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvisthechinchillasmom

Rodent lover!
Hello again!! I'm here with another question, and thank you again for your information on my last one! We've had Elvis now for a couple weeks, and everything's going well, but when I take him out for his floor time I have the HARDEST time getting him rounded up to get back in the cage. For the most part I have both my guinea pigs, and Chilla out for a run in the entire house. I have everything blocked off that is NOT safe such as fridge, stove, closets ect. So it's very safe :) But i usually try and get him in to the bathroom, and then it's a bit easier to get him rounded up in here, but it's so so tough!! :hair: Today was the first time this has happend, but i think there was fur flying :( I feel so bad because i don't want to hurt him, or have him think i'm trying to hurt him, but i just wanna get him in his cage!! LOL. Would anyone have any thing they suggest? I thought about moving his cage to the bathroom, but that would become a pain in my butt I'm afraid, and just not sure what to do to make this event non stressful for myself, and him. But all in all he seems to be coming along very well. He still won't let me pick him up, or touch him. I suppose that's normal. This wed will be two weeks we've had him.

Thank you again for your time, and hope everyone has a great day!:hug2:

I would not let him have free run of the entire house. My GP used to be able to toodle all over, but he was not destructive, whereas a chin is. He also could not fit in the places that my chins could. I would confine your chin to one room that is chin safe, and withhold his dust bath until the end of run time. Put the dust bath down, then when he is in the bath, scoop it up and take it back to his cage. That makes it more of a reward than a punishment with going back to the cage.

I did try the dust bath, but once i started raising it up to bring him back he jumped out. I didn't have it up too high so he didn't get hurt, but he just doesn't want me to catch him in anything I have tried. Our place isn't that big, just just a little condo so i figured he would be ok to run between the living room, and hallways. :)

What do you use for a dust bath? Can you put your hand over the opening?

Well right now I just use a big plastic bowl. The chinchilla we had before Elvis used that bowl, and i had no issues rounding her up in it after floor time, and putting her back in the cage. I've seen those ones you can get where it's sort of like a house, i might have to get one of those this payday. Might be the easiest way. Just thought i would see if there was something else i could do with out buying one of those. I've been eyeing it for awhile now, but wanted to buy his new cage first :) Also wanted to add that there are no cords or stuff he can chew on while he's out and about. I've had to cover most of that due to the pigs. I think they get into more stuff they're not supposed to than the chilla lol :)

I actually leave the cage open during play time and they'll run around for a bit then jump back in their cage when they're done. Cuddles actually prefers running on her wheel even with the cage door wide open with the whole living room and kitchen to explore.

Just be careful with Elvis, chins can get easily lost and fit into small places, like Tunes said. Chinchy got under a door with (I swear on my life) a half inch clearance before, and it was a big ordeal. Also, if you let him out in a smaller space, like your bathroom, it's much easier to round them up.

Back