Fleece Types

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaturtletayy

Over winter break my mom and I are going to attempt to make ledge covers for my little boy's cage. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me the difference in fleece types? I was under the impression that anti-pill fleece was the only acceptable fleece for chins, but I saw some people use blizzard fleece. Is blizzard fleece just as safe as anti-pill?

Blizzard fleece goes by a variety of different names. Up here, we get 'arctic fleece', which is available in both regular and anti pill varieties. One does not necessarily imply the other (i.e., blizzard fleece may not necessarily be anti-pill, and anti-pill fleece may not be blizzard or arctic or any of the other names it goes by). When I buy fleece in store, I always buy anti-pill arctic fleece. Generally, as long as its not all wooly and shedding fibres that could be ingested, and it doesn't pill, it should be all right.

Blizzard fleece is anti-pill. Blizzard, Polar, Artic, etc are the brand names of the fleece (like Kleenex or Puffs for tissue). The Blizzard is a little thicker and slightly lower quality than the Anti-pill, but neither should pill after washing. If you go to Jo-Ann's find the Ultra Cuddle and gently pull your fingers along the cut edge of the fabric, you'll get a handful of fuzzies. You don't want that, find the AP and try that and you'll get nothing, same with the Blizzard. Some larger Jo-Ann's store also sell Fleece Essential, it's much cheaper, and much lower quality, it is also anti-pill, but it will shrink and warp when you wash it. My advice is to find whatever color/print you like the best in either the Blizzard or Anti-pill, they should both work equally good.

Back