Fleece or shavings?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AAxJosh

Which is better, I figured fleece would be better because you don't have continually buy more and more bedding. But I wasn't really sure. Any information would be awesome! Thanks

It's all up to you. I've used both and prefer pine bedding. Shelly also will pee anywhere she feels like going when there is fleece lining her cage.

I tried fleece for a while, and went back shavings. For me, I don't do enough laundry to keep with the rotation of the liners. I have 4 chinchillas too so if I waited till laundry day, they would smell pretty badly like pee. I tried using a litter box with shavings in addition to the liners, which worked for a while. But then one day I woke up and the chins decided as a whole to only pee outside of their litter-so back to shavings I went hahaha

it is cheaper in the long run, but only worth it, in my opinion, if it's also as easy.

let us know what u pick!
:wink2:

But then one day I woke up and the chins decided as a whole to only pee outside of their litter-so back to shavings I went hahaha

Mine once held onto her litter box while peeing on her fleece. She did this right after I put a clean liner fresh out of the dryer in her cage. :neener: That was the last day she had liners in her cage.

I think I'm going to try the fleece. My grandmas very much into dewingso if I can get her to make about 4 or 5 of these liners I think I should be ok.
Should I change out the liners every day or should I do it every other day or what?

I have fleece...I can't stand shavings all over so fleece is wonderful for me. I only have one chin per fleece (one on top and one on bottom) so they don't get too stinky. I usually change them out twice a week. If I had two or more chins per fleece, I'd have to do it every other day I'm sure.

I prefer fleece over shavings. The shavings just made too much of a mess. My chin is litter trained so she doesn't have any accidents on the fleece. If she did, I might go with the shavings instead. It's a personal choice, use what works best for you.

For me its fleece hands down. I find it's easier to clean and less of a mess....especially with carpet flooring. I've got enough liners and hammocks to have a load of chin stuff every few days. Also scooping out soiled hay and poop in the cage is easy with a small brush and pan. Unfortunately, I find you need to wash the liners twice....or else they are still smelly!

To answer your question, I change the liners every 2-3 days-you'll be able to tell if you need to change it. :)

Hope it works out!

I prefer aspen shavings to fleece. With 31 chins it gets way too stinky on fleece, plus the amount of laundry would be crazy. I do put sick or injured chins on fleece until they are better because it's easier to monitor poop and pee.

How hard is it to little train a chinchilla?

do you mean litter train? Some chins won't train at all, I got lucky. My chin would typically use one corner of her cage to go potty in her aspen bedding at that time. I put a litter pan in that corner, with some of the soiled bedding in it. I then blocked off other corners with toys and stuff so she couldn't find a new pee spot. She got the idea right away.

So i had bedding and it was sooo messy that I hated and now I have fleece liners and love them! Plus the cost of bedding and with liners all you have to do is throw it in the washer. But if I was you I would try them both and see which is better for you. Also if you need a website where you can buy liners tell me or a website that tells you how to make liners.

Latest posts

Back