Fleece Odor

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockWrapsody

I have a strong urine odor coming from Izzy & Ozzy's cage. I have washed the fleece, changed the beddding, scrubbed the tray. Still an odor that seems to be coming from the fleece. What do you use to wash them in. Any suggestions.
I do not see urine stains on the wood shelves. Not sure what to do.
Sheri

The thing that I found to work best is to add bleach, use hot water, and 2nd rinse. I wash 6 liners at a time and put in 4oz (1/2 cup) of bleach after the machine fills up with water.

You may have a soap build up in the fleece which causes it to hold odors.

My wash routine (You'll think I'm nuts but....I cloth diaper the kids so I have a lot of experience with washing this type stuff)

Liners in the wash, water level as high as it will go, wash with no soap.

Wash again with soap (I use sears detergent so it's only a couple tbs of soap) full wash (Again highest water level) Extra rinse.

Another wash, no soap, short cycle, highest water setting.

I don't have odor issues...

I put vinegar in the wash along with detergent.

If I wash one load of laundry three times my husband would divorce me, lol. Our electricity bills are high enough as it is.

I put my fleece on pre-wash 1st with hot water, and vinegar. Then I go for a regular wash with soap and more vinegar with a 2nd rinse. I only use my fleece when I have animals inside the house or sometimes when I go to shows.

I just do two liners at a time but use the medium water setting so that the soap gets rinsed out better then I use a environmentally friendly non Sented soap & a cup of vinegar, I pour each half cup directly on the liners (great spot treatment!!) and pour the soap in the water.
I use hot water and the normal cycle. Works great for me!
And then I tumble dry :)

After a little more investigation, the odor seems to be coming from the bedding. I had changed it less then an hour before the odor. Maybe the bedding has an offensive odor. What bedding to ya'll use? I will only use a pad over the upper platform, not the bottom of the cage where they do most of thier peeing.
Sheri

I only use fleece. I've used aspen as bedding before, but never really liked it because it would start smelling more, along with the strong smell of the aspen itself, which I didn't like.

What are you using as main bedding, the stuff they urinate on? I think fleece keeps it smelling nicer for longer, and it's much less of a mess imo. I have a towel under my fleece which soaks up all the urine, washing the fleece and towel every few days really keeps the smell down.

I have thought of using fleece but the hay and wood pieces (from them chewing thier toys) seem to be difficult to get off. I shake the crap out of it and I still have all kinds of stuff in the washer! What do you guys do to correct that?

I either vacuum them before I put them into the washer or take a brush and brush the stuff off. I use the brush from a dust pan, works fine!

I also like to wipe down the inside of the washer after every wash to get all the stuff that didn't come off, just with a wet paper towel.

Latest posts

Back