Fleece lining questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtpie61282

What do you think of the fleece bottom liners? Are they easier to use than shavings? How often do you wash them?

Im thinking about doing this with my FN cages but wouldn't the pee be hard to maintain, I feel like fleece doesn't absorb well and they would be walking through pee a lot of the time.

I would be able to save so much money by switching because I wouldn't be buying shavings anymore.....not that they are that expensive. I buy in bulk for like 7 bucks a month, lol.

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on the fleece liners

What do you think of the fleece bottom liners? Are they easier to use than shavings? How often do you wash them?

Im thinking about doing this with my FN cages but wouldn't the pee be hard to maintain, I feel like fleece doesn't absorb well and they would be walking through pee a lot of the time.

I would be able to save so much money by switching because I wouldn't be buying shavings anymore.....not that they are that expensive. I buy in bulk for like 7 bucks a month, lol.

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on the fleece liners

For single chins I only need to change the liners once a week in my FN's. When I was fostering a trio I was changing their liner every 3 -4 days. I haven't used shavings in years so I don't remember the absorbency. However, I don't feel like my chins are walking around in pee with their liners. Sometimes I'll see a puddle immediately after they've urinated, but it gets absorbed quickly.

I change Maggies fleece liner every 3 days. She has a pan with shavings in it and thats where she pees. She rarely pees on the liners. I do shake the poop off of it atleast once a day though.
Before i had put the pan with shavings in there it would smell like pee after only a day.
I def. Recomend the fleece liners, they are so pretty, and they give your chin something soft to walk and lay on. Maggie has a fleece tube also that she loves.

do the liners come out easy? what holds them in the cage?

You can attach them with velcro. I have one customer who has me sew several clips around the edges, and then clips the liner to the cage bars.

Personally, I just lay them on top of the pan. The chins have houses, chillers, and other things to help keep them in place. Sometimes they dig the corners up. It doesn't bother me though. I shake out my liners every day, and spot clean my pans weekly, so if they want to make a mess I'm not going to go to extremes to stop them.

I just lay mine in the cage. I have been putting one on her shelf too.

My chin chewed her original carefresh bedding so I removed that and am now using fleece liners.She only pees in the corners and the fleece seems to absorb the pee just fine ,I don't find puddles in her cage and I'm very anal about cleaning her cage every 3 days so I'd see if there were any.There alot cheaper than buying bedding ,i bought one yard of this very cool day of the dead theme print for 10.99 a yard which for my cage made two liners and two hammocks !The only problem I have is that the poo is much more visable and my chin poos a lot so I have to shake my liners out everyday or so to get rid of that poo.other than that I highly recommend them

I like it a lot. I bought a large Fleece blanket from walmart and 2 large towels. Also I got some metal binder clips. The towels go under the fleece and then I pin it down with the clips. I only need to change it every 1 and a half weeks and I never smell anything. In total it cost me around 25 bucks.

I tried them, didn't like them. Maybe I'm sensitive but to me they smelled after 2 days and I couldn't stand it. They also show the poop and to me it looked messy.

personly i find liners MUCH more sanitary, i wash mine every 3 days, they absorb the pee quite well, and its MUCH easier than clearing out a couple inches of shavings and more cost efficent to be honest.
ive never smelled any thing with liners but ALLWAYS smell pee when using shavings

I tidy my cages every night while the girls are out playing, and I just put on my rubber gloves, and sort of use my hands to "sweep" and make a pile out of all the poops/shavings/hay that is on top of the liners, and then I just pick up the pile and toss it in the garbage can. Easy peasy.

sounds fairly easy....the poo Im not too worried about because Im used to scooping the poo out from their shelves.
Im just tired of the dust from the shavings, some bags are dusty some aren't. and a lot of people who come over say my house smells like pine shavings.
I am very sensitive about how my house smells to people because of the dogs and cats, but the consensus is that my house smells like chin shavings...
which is better than dogs or pee. But still, not what I want my house to smell like.
And I think it will rid the chin room of any of the shaving dust and crap all over the floors.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts....I might try it in one FN cage and see how I like it.
Are there any peeps on here that make and sell the fleece liners?

Are there any peeps on here that make and sell the fleece liners?

You can check out the classifieds, and banners at the top of the forum. There are many people, including myself, that make liners.

thanks Britt, I think I bought some of the tubes from you a year or so ago....

Ill check out your site and see what I want to look into :)

I have pans that a friend made us in our FN cages now, I'd like to keep them in the cages if I switched to fleece liners. Is there still a way to put the fleece liners in the pan and have the liners stay put?

I'm thinking about making a fleece liner, my chins cage has the bars on the bottom and no pan, i do not have my chin yet. What do you reccomened doing?

I have so much fleece left over from making a tube cover, and I was thinking about going with liners.

Do they have to be two pieces of fleece sewn together? Or would just one layer of fleece work?

Latest posts

Back