Fleece Liners Methods

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleece Liner methods

• Two pieces of fleece

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Three pieces of fleece

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Two pieces of fleece with one piece of towel in the middle

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Two pieces of fleece with two pieces of towel in the middle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So far we have two votes for only using two pieces of fleece.

Do you find that urine can leak through, or is that thick enough to withstand a few potty breaks? Thanks everyone!

I only use a single layer of fleece. My boys use their litter pans very well. If they have an accident, I can usually smell it right away and then change it out. I recently switched to Bass pans from having the fleece over a grate, and so far so good.

Where's the one layer option? I just change mine every other day. Remove all floor items, dump the shelf pan, put chins in the chin proof room, roll the fleece up and throw it in the wash, wipe down the bass pan, roll out a new piece of fleece, replace items, replace chins, and collect the now clean fleece from the dryer when it's done to throw on top of the cage for next change.

Next day repeat with the other cage. In the meantime I'm maintaining 5 hedgehogs on a single layer of fleece as well and one with babies on carefresh. They don't have a whole bunch of stuff to remove from their cage though.

I just use a old folded towel and a piece of fleece wrapped around the tray, nothing fancy. ;) I change it two/three times a week.

my liners are 2 layers but yes, pee does get thru. I am trying to have her use a box of pine shavings and she does most of the time but not always.

Hmm, ok. So maybe I should go with a layer of towel or a third layer of fleece? I just worry that if he turns into a fleece chewer he'd get to the towel. Decisions, decisions...

I have a set of 2-layer fleece liners, but prefer 3 layers for absorption. It still gets through, but there's less of it. My problem is I have one chin (Sonic) who chews fleece and has made holes and reshaped the edges. I can't use a towel layer. It has to be fleece. He "grooms" it to death.

Also, to sew or not to sew. The 2-layer set is sewn (Thank you, ChinChic!) and neither chin has damaged it yet. The 3 layer sets aren't all sewn yet. My chewer likes to find the edges of the individual layers and pull them up to chew on them. I might solve my chewing problem if I finish them before putting them into use.

I've tried to go back to wood shavings with my chewer. That lasted a week. You should have seen it. I didn't think a chin really could pout until I did that. We are definitely spoiling them with this fleece thing.

I'm so nervous about the little guy chewing and getting to towel. The more and more I think about the "what-if's" I think I'll just stick with 3 pieces of fleece. :))

Latest posts

Back