Fleece help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceMaiden

Hello, I'm new here, long time lurker first time poster!

I need a little help, I have decided to switch to fleece liners for my chinchilla as the shavings make too much mess. I ordered some yesterday and it turned up this morning, however one of the pieces is micro coral fleece which is fluffier and softer than the polar fleece.

My girl is not a big chewer. She doesn't chew her fleece hammocks, her bed which is some type of corduroy type of fabric, and she hasn't touched the plastic trays in her FN cage (obviously I would have removed them instantly if she had started), nor even chewed her wooden shelving. Is coral fleece safe to use provided the chin doesn't chew it? It is 100% polyester just like the polar ones.

Thank you in advance:)

I'm not sure I would use it, though I also wouldn't use corduroy either, fleece is the only safe fabric and even then only if not chewed. Fleece doesn't unravel and comes off in small pieces not threads/stings so you can take it away before there is a problem (it takes longer to destroy so only a small amount will likely be eaten before you notice). With most fabric (including fleece) chins tend to decide to test chew it and if it comes apart, shredding things is fun (fleece doesn't shred so most chins lose interest after a test nibble) so in a very short time they can tear apart the fabric and possible swallow some and/or get tangled in it. From what I see online the issue I see with coral fleece is it's fuzzy, which could cause the chin to want to pull and chew on it since they can get a better grip. Also with fuzzy fabric the hay and stuff will get tangled in it more, making cleanup a headache.

Thank you for help Amethyst:)). After reading your reply I went to re-look at the fleece and realised that unlike the polar ones, if you pluck at the coral fleece little bits of fluff (like fluffy hamster bedding) pull from it that aren't noticeable on the fabric. I'm thinking that if the chin does have a nibble they'll realise it pulls out and could eat it as you wouldn't know just by looking at the fleece, so I'm not using it as it's better to be safe than sorry, and have ordered another piece of normal fleece instead. Just wish I hadn't washed it before asking on here as I could have sent it back!:rolleyes:

Back