Fleece Flippers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC04wife

Hello, I would like to know if Fleece Flippers, which are sold for Guinea Pig cages, would work and be safe for my chinchillas? I found them while searching for cage and fleece items and haven't seen or heard of any chin owner using them. Would they be safe?
Thanks

I really wish that they were. I know that there's coroplast inside of the fleece flippers that would be bad if chewed on by chinchillas. There's also this stuffing material that is supposed to act as an absorbent layer- I don't know if that's safe or not.

I wouldn't say it is only because I'm still unsure as to what exactly is put inside of them. But I'm going to stick around as well to see what others say! Because they're really neat. :)

They're Fantastic....

Thank you for responding. I think they are wonderful and the ability to have each flipper turn over when dirty and pull what I call double-duty makes them basically two set of fleece liners! I am lovin that most of all....

I really hope they are chin-approved or we can find something that is comparable in terms of the convenience.

Just found out that they are not.

The fleece flippers internally use coroplast which is not safe for chins to digest. It also consists of Uhaul recycled blankets which are made of recycled denim material. The fibers aren't like that of fleece.

Though- in theory, if the fleece flippers fit in the cage correctly, any access to the internal system would be quite hard to get to for a chin. It would require them to lift the sides up, and flip it to the shorter sides to get inside of the fleece flipper. I don't know, in a normal cage setup, if that'd be realistic and possible for a chinchilla to do so.

We could, instead of using the uhaul blanket, use cardboard instead of coroplast, and wrap that with washed fleece? It's the only option I can think of, but I don't even know if it'd have the ultra absorbent layers that the uhaul blankets do.

That's my research. haha.

Latest posts

Back