Fleece biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljiayi

@chingary
I recently purchased this product on amazon and when I put it in my chin's cage, he kept biting the fleece part of the product. How can I prevent such a behaviour? Is it okay for them to ingest fleece?

My chin has been exposed to fleece before as I use fleece for his cage bedding. He does not bite the bedding.

It is not ohkay for Chins to ingest fleece. I would suggest taking it out of his cage for his own sake. If he eats fleece it can mess up his entire digestive system. You can't really prevent the behavior either, chins do what they want. It's just how they are! I hope this helps :)

The 'fleece' in that picture looks REALLY fuzzy! Not like good polar fleece at all...! If its a different texture, that may be why he's chewing on it. My guinea pig ignores the odd fleece thing I've given her but chews at the fuzzier inside of her cuddle cup sometimes (I only use the cup to get her out of her cage, she does not like to be picked up at all). If he's chewing it, take it away.

The fleece in that cuddle cup you linked is also not the right kind of fleece that is chin safe, you want polar/arctic/blizzard (it goes by a lot of names) or anti-pill fleece. The stuff they have in that looks like the fake wool fleece material (which is not the same as real fleece). As said even if it was a chin safe type of fleece it's not safe to ingest, it's just less dangerous if they chew a tiny bit (before you notice and can take it away) since it doesn't have threads or long fibers like most other fabric. Also the reason for most people preferring anti-pill fleece is some chins that don't chew on fleece will pull off "pills" of cheaper fleece and eat them :facepalm:, I guess if there is something fun to pull apart that is in the cage they will pull on it, normal fleece is harder to get a grip on with their teeth since it's smooth.
Also there is no way to prevent a chin from chewing on something without taking it away or preventing access to it, chins chew that's what they do, lol.

Latest posts

Back