Fleece as pee pads?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I'm hoping to tile my cage in the future, but I have a ton of fleece from my sewing hobbies... I was wondering if I could watch where the preferred "wee spots" are and place little fleece pads in those areas and clip them down. Does anyone know if this would work at all?

I made pee pads two layers of fleece with two layers of towel inside :) they work nicely

Do they cover the whole cage floor? I'm hoping to just cover their little pee areas.

I have fleece linners for the bottom of the cage because it's not tiled and the pee pads I have are small and sit on the shelves in the spots where they perticularily like to pee.

A lot of people make fleece liners for the entire cage floor. Some also potty train the chin (for pee) and just switch out the liners weekly. Others do just use them as pee pads, but probably change them sooner.

Yeah, I'd prefer not to make a whole liner, so I was wondering if it was possible to just secure a smaller liner just for their favorite spots or something...

I think making a small pee pad is a great idea. I think 2 layers of fleece would be suitable. I actually might steal your idea once I tile my cage :)

Wondering how to secure a small pad in one spot, myself. My "wherever" chin might benefit from a few small pads on top of his liner that I could change out easily and frequently. Then again, it might become more of a pain than a help.

Have you tried to potty train your chin? Try soaking some wood shavings (I use pine litter) in a fresh spot of pee and putting them on top of clean shavings in a dish. Then put the dish in that spot and see if your chin uses it. Mine didn't so I went with a full liner. I try to change it every couple days or so.

Just a note, my chins love their fleece. They both pee on the fleece and not their wood shelves, but they also snuggle and sleep on their fleece as well. A small fleece pad might become your chin's favorite spot to sleep rather than pee.

I haven't actually gotten my chinchillas yet, but I was thinking of just tying it to the side of the cage... I have tons and tons of fleece because I like to sew plushies and whatnot. I'm under the impression that chinchillas don't tend to wee in the middle of their cage.

Back