Fleas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

We have never had a flea problem before, An occasional tick. But the last month, we have been having fleas like crazy! Everyday! with our three dogs. They are up to date on all shots, We have given them flea baths multiple times a week, and have sprayed them with flea and tick spray and even sprayed our furniture with another spray, both safe around pets. but still, we some everyday on them and one of your yorkies and lab scratch alot. We are going to get the yorkies shaved down when we have the extra money, but besides that, we've never had such a problem with fleas.......and not sure what else to do. Anyone have a problem like this before? In all the years owning dogs, we've never had this problem. We are giving them flea baths everyday from now on, but after giving bailey a bath along with the others, I noticed two on his head, right after a bath!

Fleas are going to be extra bad this year due to the weather. They get worse in late summer and early fall. You should look into getting a flea preventative from a veterinarian. I don't recommend the ones sold OTC in pet stores, as most of them are cheap and you pretty much get what you pay for. Some only kill adult fleas but not the larva or eggs. The shampoo will only kill fleas currently on the dogs, not prevent them from reinfesting. If you have them in your home, they can hop right back on after the bath. Shaving will also do nothing. Daily flea baths will really irritate their skin. You should also retreat your home.

Trifexis is a good one. It is an oral once a month tablet for fleas (all life stages), heartworm, and some intestinal parasite preventative.

Last edited:
Fleas are going to be extra bad this year due to the weather. They get worse in late summer and early fall. You should look into getting a flea preventative from a veterinarian. I don't recommend the ones sold OTC in pet stores, as most of them are cheap and you pretty much get what you pay for. Some only kill adult fleas but not the larva or eggs. The shampoo will only kill fleas currently on the dogs, not prevent them from reinfesting. If you have them in your home, they can hop right back on after the bath. Shaving will also do nothing. Daily flea baths will really irritate their skin. You should also retreat your home.

Trifexis is a good one. It is an oral once a month tablet for fleas (all life stages), heartworm, and some intestinal parasite preventative.

We may look into the tablet, we never knew there was one for fleas. We were thinking about doing a flea "bomb" but it'd be hard to get everyone out for a few hours, three dogs, two cats, two chins etc.....is that what you mean by retreating the home or is there another way?

The flea preventative spot-on's and tablets with IGR (insect growth regulator) are the only way to completely interrupt the life cycle of the flea and truly keep infestations from happening. Everything else kills the adult fleas but does not prevent re-infestations, so the IGR preventatives are really the best way to go.

I was told the other day that only around 5% of fleas live on the pet, the rest are in varying life cycles on the pet, and in your home/yard.

There are some powders that you can use, as well as the sprays and bombs. First you should vacuum really well to pick up any eggs/larva, and then use the home treatment. From what I have been told, the bombs work the best. It may be a lot of work, but getting rid of fleas really isn't an easy task.

The flea preventative spot-on's and tablets with IGR (insect growth regulator) are the only way to completely interrupt the life cycle of the flea and truly keep infestations from happening. Everything else kills the adult fleas but does not prevent re-infestations, so the IGR preventatives are really the best way to go.

I was told the other day that only around 5% of fleas live on the pet, the rest are in varying life cycles on the pet, and in your home/yard.

There are some powders that you can use, as well as the sprays and bombs. First you should vacuum really well to pick up any eggs/larva, and then use the home treatment. From what I have been told, the bombs work the best. It may be a lot of work, but getting rid of fleas really isn't an easy task.

OK thank you. Will we look into those and hopefully get rid of most if not all of them. Thanks!

Are you treating your cats also? Cats don't scratch like dogs do. If the dogs have fleas...the cats have fleas.

We have been having problems this year too. Dogs are on preventatives and everything, but they are really bad this year. Be sure to wash linens if the dog lays on them every three days, also every time you vacume be sure to empty the bag right away and toss it. I have heard that food grade DIametric earth works and is pet safe, but i have not used it. We used an organic carpet powder, but the smell is very strong...my husband said it smelled good, but it bothered me.

What do you recommend to treat the yard? I haven't heard of this.

We are battling them here, too. :(

I don't remember what my grandfather used to use exactly but I believe it was something similar to the above, but I think that one he used sprinkled in the yard. But I know keeping your yard free of leaves, grass clipping, etc is suppose to help.

Also, tall grass, even if not directly in your yard.

I also found this in a search http://news.petmeds.com/article/view/id/800729656/n/keep-fleas-out-of-your-yard

This is a link to the spray that is recommended in that link http://www.1800petmeds.com/Virbac+Yard+Spray-prod678147.html

Isn't the tablet the one you have to have a vet prescription for?

Pest control is what I do for a living, and fleas are a common problem, but there is too much to go over with just a simple forum posting. For anyone who wants to know how to go about treating for fleas, feel free to send me a pm and I'll give you my phone number.

Isn't the tablet the one you have to have a vet prescription for?

Anything with heartworm preventative requires a prescription as the dog needs to be heartworm tested and HW negative before it is given. Any of the flea preventatives in pet stores and OTC do not contain the HW preventative, but they also usually contain smaller amounts of the insecticide making their duration shorter and/or may only kill the adult fleas instead of disrupting the entire life cycle.

There are some tablets you can buy in pet stores..right now the only thing that comes to mind is Capstar, but that only kills fleas that are currently on the dog. It does not protect against future reinfestations.

Petsmart sells yard treatments I believe....you may also check with your vet. The clinic I work at sells home and yard treatments.

Last edited:
Fleas are very bad this year. Unfortunately OTC products are not effective. I would go to your vet and get a quality product. My vet uses trifexis, vectra and revolution. They also sell a house treatment spray call premise spray. You are going to have to treat your house and all your pets for several months to get the fleas under control. There is no quick fix for fleas. Like you have been warnded Hartz products are very unsafe. Frontline is no longer effective as well.

Fleas have been so bad down here in NC this year,I've been forced to triple whammy.All dogs and cats(inside and out)get treated on the same day. The dogs all get Advantix2 which CANNOT be used on cats.The cats are all treated with PetArmour.The outside run for the playtime for the dogs is sprayed.Then 2 weeks later the dogs get a dose of Comfortis.So far this has been the only combo keeping the fleas in check.

Indy, our border collie, has epilepsy that is made significantly worse by flea/tick treatment. I haven't had her on anything for years and thankfully fleas have never been a problem for us.

I've heard that diatomaceous earth works really well and is safe for indoor and outdoor use. I researched it a while back, and decided that's what I'd use if we ever needed it. They sell it in most home improvement stores around here and you can also find it online.

Latest posts

Back