First vet visit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lirana

I'm taking Mochi for her first checkup today. I've read a lot of conflicting info on whether or not to take chins for annual checkups, but since I got her from a pet store, I decided to err on the side of caution and take her. I hope this doesn't traumatize her and negate the progress we've made on becoming friends, but I would rather know now if she's got any issues.

Maybe the vet can help me pinpoint her age a bit better. PetSmart said they had her for 9 months, and they usually get them between 3-6 weeks old, but they didn't sound 100% sure. Also, the new chinchilla that replaced her at the store is bigger than Mochi, so that's definitely not a 6 week old!

Also, kinda sorta related, after we went to bed, Mochi made a loud noise, sort of like an excited baby noise (sorta similar to the baby sound in Are You That Somebody by Aaliyah but not quite as happy). I'm not really sure how to describe it. My bf got out of bed and she was sitting on her top shelf, so it didn't appear as if she had fallen or anything. Was this a good sound? I've been leaving mellow music on her for her at night, so maybe she was singing? My bf said that she was dancing earlier. Thoughts?

Apparently, she sleep talks... She's sleeping and started barking. I'm sure I'm being paranoid cause of the noise last night. Is this normal?

Yeah they do that with varying degrees in frequency. It's normal. I usually just talk back and then they stop.

As far as the vet visits go, I was happy we took ours in for their first visits. But I let Vincenza's yearly pass because I didn't want to stress her out too much.

It was helpful in the beginning because I was paranoid about them getting sick or hurt but now I'll probably only do it if necessary.

Since I don't have a chinchilla yet I can't really help here but any pet from a pet store I would take to the vet at least 1 time to make sure there are no problems. I got a hamster from PetSmart and it died in only a few months when it should have lived at least a year or 2 so I don't trust there pet care very much. As for the sleep talking, I still can't help with that but it does sound very adorable. Maybe she was just having a dream.

Thanks guys. I feel a little better about the noises she's making now. Her appointment is just over 2 hrs from now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Maybe the vet can help me pinpoint her age a bit better. PetSmart said they had her for 9 months, and they usually get them between 3-6 weeks old, but they didn't sound 100% sure.

Actually the vet's guess probably won't be accurate at all. It is extremely hard and pretty much impossible to guess the age of a chin. Chins of all ages range in sizes. I have a 6 year old chin that is as small as one of my chins was when I got him at 6 months old.

Petsmart also doesn't get chins in that young. Chins generally aren't weaned until 6 weeks old, and preferably 8 weeks old. A 3 week old chin would most likely not survive.

Some do fine going to the vet, some flip out. I just took the three to the vet last week, one actually had the appointment but the vet is on my way home so they all went, the one who had the appointment could care less, but one had a flippin fit, totally freaked out in the carrier and made a huge scene in the waiting room screaming and ranting.

tcraighenry, I have some on order, but they're not here yet. I was going to bring some hay, water, and oats.

Stackie, I figured they don't get them that young. Everything I've read has said 10 weeks min. I just wanted to be able to figure out an approximate birthday rather than just guessing. :p

ticklechin, I really hope she doesn't start screaming in the middle of the waiting room. That sounds awful!

Woo, first vet visit done! No heart murmurs and her teeth look fine. Vet says that she's a little light (445 g), but it's not a concern unless her weight starts going down.

Mochi was a bit stressed out. I had to trick her with oats into her carrier, and she did not like when I initially picked her up. It took almost 45 mins to get there (they were repaving some of the roads, otherwise it should have only taken 20-25 mins). She didn't poop in the carrier at all! Finally when I put her back in the car to head home, there were a couple of poops, which made me feel better. She also shed a bunch while the vet was listening to her heart. Other than that though, she did pretty good. She slept part of the way there and the majority of the way home. And she doesn't hate me, so that's good. :p

Here's a picture of the carrier I got for her. I got her one of these (the one with the more open door so I could attach a water bottle), but covered the bottom with fleece. I also made a "cover" with some more fleece. The spring on the door is the water bottle holder.

Mochi_vet.jpg

Back