First vet check up - how old?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hi chin loving friends, I have a girl who is on the brink of her six month birthday. She is a pet store chin and I am wondering at what age I should make a vet appointment for her first check up (since the pet store told me she had an exam shortly before we got her...but who knows). I was assuming it was best after the first 6 months and I could do it this month..but I just wanted to see what everyone knows.

I hope I shouldnt have done it earlier..everything is regular and she is a great weight and healthy personality. I thought this was safe but please let me know

I would not bring a healthy chin to the vet unless I had a good reason to. If she is healthy, she does not need to see the vet. But, getting a good chin savvy vet before you need one, and maybe even going in to speak with them, is a great idea.

Homestly vet checks are not really necessary for these guys. If you check over your chin weekly for discharge, wounds, hairrings if it's a boy, etc that should be sufficient. It could stress your chin out taking him to the vet so I only do it when you notice something is wrong. Plus exotic visits are expensive so save your money in case of serious issues. If you notice soft poops, discharge from nose, mouth, eyes, ears, any infection, hairloss, changes in appetite or activity then you should definately consider a vet.

I would highly recommend lining up a vet and registering with the vet if they allow that. I don't see a need to bring a healthy chin to the vet except to get them in the vet's system for when you do need them. If you feel you want to take your chin to the vet just to be proactive then you can do so at any time in their life, there is no set time that is best. Be aware that it can be stressful for some chins :))

I agree with JM. There's no reason to take a healthy animal in for a vet visit, but it might not be a bad idea just to get your chin into the vet's computer system so that if an emergency arises, you are an established patient. Some vets won't come in on an emergency basis if you are not already a registered client. I would try and take her first thing in the a.m., or possibly the last visit of the day, so as to cut down on excess stress from barking dogs, etc.

Thanks all! I have a great vet already for my chins, but she is the youngest and I wanted to be sure about this. I appreciate all the helpful info :) Good to know I dont have to spend the money as long as shes doing well !

Back