first sickness?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

I'm wondering if there is a typical age for chins to come down with their first sickness/need to see a vet or if it's different for each? Just curious, thanks!

Most chins never need to see the vet ever in their life. They don't require vaccinations and taking them to the vet just to see the vet (not sick or injured) can stress them doing more harm then good by causing stress related issues. There is no specific age that they can get sick, anytime between one second old to 20+ years old.

All the reading I've done has made me think they're more likely than not to come down with something and quick at some point. I knew they didn't need shots, but I wasn't sure how much of a worry wart I was being versus rational hahaha. Thanks!

Well you are right in that when they do get sick it seems to happen fast, they are good at hiding illness until they physically can't. So it ends up seeming like they just got sick when in reality they have been sick for awhile. One of the best ways to monitor is keep track of weight, when sick they tend to stop eating, and therefore lose weight. Also watch the poop, that can indicate a problem as well if that changes size, frequency, or consistency.
The best way to avoid sickness is by giving clean, fresh water, good quality pellet only food, plenty of fresh hay, make sure the room is at a comfortably low temp with low humidity with no drafts, and there is no interaction between them and another animal species. Also supervise them when they are out to make sure they don't eat something they shouldn't, and that nothing they shouldn't eat or chew is in or near the cage.

Latest posts

Back