First day home

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elbee

First day home and Hannah seems to be settling in okay. Brought her home last night. My first chinchilla. At first she seemed skittish but then started jumping all over her ledges and checking stuff out. She is also a poop machine. Dang, I had no idea, lol. So this morning I opened the cage to see how she was. She will approach me, hop on my hands, and nibble me. But she nibbles pretty hard. It hurts sometimes. Does this mean she doesn't like me? She won't let me pet or scratch her but i am sure she will after settling in a while? She seems very curious and sweet. I am just brand new to this and wanted to see if all this was normal behavior. She also sleeps in her litter pan. Odd. Thanks!

Congrats on your 1st chin. Make sure your hands are clean, she may smell something on them. I tell mine "no, no bite" and he understands that now. He tries to eat my clothes every time I pick him up though. Please post pix of Hannah, we would love to see her.

It takes time for chins to settle in to a new habitat with new humans. Just go at her pace, nice and slow, and eventually she'll stop thinking that you intend to eat her :) Likely she is not chomping you because she doesn't like you but because she is trying to figure out what you are all about. My guy did this when I first got him but doesn't anymore now that he's settled in

Give her time to settle in. She sounds like she is doing great so far. One of my girls also sleeps in her litter pan. She digs out all of the shavings and crawls right it. Some chins are a little odder than others. Congrats on your new baby!

Hi Hannah!!! What a cutie! She is just nibbling to check you out. Sometimes they can be a little excited because they think you have a treat. Everything you describe is normal chin behavior. They each have their own special personality! Oh, and the ton of poops??? It's a great thing! it means they are healthy!!! :D

Thanks so much! I am in love. I can't wait to get off work and spend time with her. Ifvi put my face by the cage she nibbles and sniffs my nose. So cute! She will climb up into my hands too.

Latest posts

Back