First aid ointment?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopTart

I came home earlier tonight after work and got poptart out of his cage to play and I felt something on his tummy. It was gooey and smooth and he's been licking it I've suspected the last couple days (I guessed from the flax seed oil I used for dry skin.) but he has rubbed or scratched or scraped or tore a raw spot on his chest. I'm not sure what this is. It wasn't bleeding just slightly oozing a yellowy-clear pus. I have called a couple vets around on Thursday to find one that accepts hedgehogs (haven't made an apt bc I thought he had simple dry skin) but being today is Sunday..is there an ointment such as neosporin that is safe to use on him? Until the week day comes around? It's not hurting him bc I was trying to pick at it and see what it was. Do mites cause that? He also may have a similar spot on his leg although much smaller. It's so strange. He also seems to have "dander" but they weren't moving and I was looking closely on my black work pants. He just got an oatmeal bath and a flax oil capsul treatment on Wednesday. Between his bedding fits and self mutilation ;p I have my hands full with him. I am curious about the ointment though.

Good call on needing to get him into a vet.

Neosporin/polysporin is safe as long as it's the regular strength; do NOT use pain relief; do NOT use extra strength.

Awwa, I'm sorry about Poptart =( I'm sure everything will turn out alright. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back