first aid kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your really on your own.

Short term helpful items I keep on hand are:

Coffee grinder for pellets ( for kits or sick animals to use if I have to hand feed before I can get to the vet and get CC)
Can of goats milk ( for kits whose mother has no milk)
Bag balm for dry feet
Hypericum homeopathic pellets for nerve pain...for bites from another chin
Arnica Montana homeopathic pellets for shock/trauma
Bene bac
Syringe ( I cut off the ends ) to pull up liquid ground mix such as CC or your ground pellet. A syringe can also offer a drink of water if needed.
Have some kind of carrier to get your animal to the vet

And all the phone numbers of local vets in my area who treat chinchillas.
And buy a gram scale that you can tare. Keep weight log. It's really the only way you can tell if an animal is sick and is not showing any signs of illness.
Keep enough feed or hay in case of storms or evacuation to feed your animals until you are able to purchase more.
And always have several back up water bottles.

what is bene bac?

It is a probiotic.
My recent use:
(I don't give out many snacks) I gave one of my chins 1/2 a raisin. Only because I was in the kitchen and he was begging for a shredded wheat. I had raisin's out.
Well he paid for it. Two days of soft poo. Came out as a poo pellet and when stepped on, it was flat. I forgot I had bene bac. :duh: Gave him a good dose and the soft poo cleared up ASAP.

I never got a reply, but I went out and bought what the sites generally considered the must-haves. I got pedialyte, apple-cider vinegar, lamisil AT, hydrocortisone, neosporin, simethicone, vaseline, tums, unscented wipes, nitrile gloves, q-tips, probiotics, band aids, gauze, and self-adhesive tape. :)

Latest posts

Back