Finger bitten =[

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

I keep my girls separate because they do not get along. Today Talia was sitting in her cage with her paws on the cage bars as usual when Tinker (Who was out for play time) grabbed Talia's paw with her mouth so hard that she now has a nub for a finger =[ I was terrified of her bleeding to death, but after doing some reading realized this is quite common. She is acting perfectly fine, using her hands and everything. She even went running on her wheel just minutes after the attack! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning her paw. She hurt it once before and allowed me to clean it, but this time she refused. Im afraid to struggle with her because it makes her bleed more, but i cannot even see the wound through all the blood. Also i have read of some annti bacterial stuff that is safe for chinchillas and was wondering where to buy it. Do most pet stores have it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

You will need to clean it well whether she likes it or not. You can get a product called Blue Kote to put on it to help keep it from getting infected. If you can see exposed bone, the chinchilla needs to see a vet.

I keep my girls separate because they do not get along. Today Talia was sitting in her cage with her paws on the cage bars as usual when Tinker (Who was out for play time) grabbed Talia's paw with her mouth so hard that she now has a nub for a finger =[ I was terrified of her bleeding to death, but after doing some reading realized this is quite common. She is acting perfectly fine, using her hands and everything. She even went running on her wheel just minutes after the attack! I was wondering if anyone had any tips on cleaning her paw. She hurt it once before and allowed me to clean it, but this time she refused. Im afraid to struggle with her because it makes her bleed more, but i cannot even see the wound through all the blood. Also i have read of some annti bacterial stuff that is safe for chinchillas and was wondering where to buy it. Do most pet stores have it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

I literally had the exact same thing happen to Latte when she was a kit. My other chin was out playing, and bit her toe off through the cage bars. I applied blue kote and it still got infected after a day or two. I got a cleaning solution from my vet, it was called novasal or novasand? Something like that. I had to dip her paw in it twice a day, and because it was infected I was given a mild sulfa antibiotic to clear that up. It healed quickly, and she's fine now. Good luck.

Edit: Just wanted to add, to prevent something like this from happening again you can do playtime in a different room. Or place whichever chin that isn't playing in a carrier where the loose chin can't get to her.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys, Yes today for playtime i covered the exposed side of Talia's cage so Tinker could not get to her. When i woke up this morning Talia cleaned up so well that you cant even see she was covered in blood the night before. I cleaned her paw this morning and i checked the wound out. I guess last night she was just too shooken up to let me do anything. Her bone is not showing thank god! The wound doesn't look as bad as i thought it was. She is missing the tip of her finger and she is acting completly normal, no signs of infection so far and she seems like her hyper silly self, but i continue checking everytime i see her.

I'd still get some Blue Kote (Or if you can't find that go to walgreens and get Gentian Violet, you might have to ask the pharmacist, ours keeps it behind the counter) And keep it applied til it's healed.

This sadly happened to me also, its fairly common sometimes I put the cages too close. Always make sure their is a 1-2 inch gap and don't put them next to overly territorial chins. Also monitor newly paired chins closely. It healed up very quickly, dab a bit of neosporin on it until it heals up. :) good luck

Latest posts

Back