Finally!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

i got Kishi i new cage i ordered it on the 11th and i finally got it on saturday, it is a Purvue cage and it is huge, she has room for her little box /bed a wheel, everything she needs, and all the ledges and ramps are metal, no more eating through wooden ledges every two weeks:D
she is a very happy chinnie now i need to look into hammocks and such, do you have any reccomendations for my little chew-aholic?
mind you, she chews alot even for a chinchilla, if it goes in her cage ,it's going to be chewed,very likely within an inch of it's life lol.

If she chews stuff you may not want to get fleece, as she might eat it (not good) and you'd have to replace it every so often if she's just chewing and not eating it. Maybe get some small wood houses as I'd think wood would take more time to chew through. You can even make your own, just get four squares of wood and glue them together. That way it's be cheaper and you can make a few in advance. I'm sure there are some metal houses out there, too. I see them as rabbit nest boxes a lot.

Tanya makes steel tunnels, and she's even have a sale going on right now. You can use the tunnel without the fleece cover so nothing gets destroyed.

You should take pictures of your big new cage!! I'm sure Kishi loves it.

if you think she's likely to chew fleece then i'd not give her a hammock. too much risk for impaction, even though fleece is considered the only safe material to make soft things out of, she could still chew pieces off and swallow them. chins can be comfy enough without hammocks, just be sure to give her a couple places where she can rest off the metal of the shelves, maybe keep two or three wood ledges in there still.

those Prevue cages (i'm assuming that's what you meant and not 'Purvue') have plastic pans in them. if your Kishi is a big chewer then i'd definitely look into replacing the plastic pans with metal or take the tray out altogether and tile the bottom of the cage.

yeah it does have a plastic catch pan(and yes i meant Prevue, curse my typoitis:p) which i plan to replace with a metal one asap. so far she hasn't been able to get to it, since the gap between the bars is too small for her to get her nose through, but better safe than sorry imo
i like the idea of the steel tunnels.
also at petco,they sell grass mats to cover ledges with , i was thinking of picking up a bunch of those to give her something a bit softer to walk on, depends on what they are made of and whether they last more than a day. i also gave her one of the leftover wooden ledges which she can rest on and have something with a familiar smell on it.
so far she loves it, altho she made some scary jumps the first day!

You can buy grassmats in bulk at Busy Bunny if she's a hard core chewer. Mine ripped through their mats in just a few days. But they loved every second.
Have you looked at pumice? There are tons of toys they can chew on made of pumice, and at least my guys love it. I know Allie has a slew of chew toys of all kinds and there's a way for you try new things.

pumice is actually a good idea, i'll have to look into some pumice toys, i can guarantee they will last longer!
thanks for the link!

Latest posts

Back