Finally!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany_Lynn

I like dinosaurs :3
Pico and Rodya have FINALLY gotten used to each other!
I didn't have a small cage for the cage within a cage method, but I did the next best thing I could think of, which was to put their cages so close together that their bars almost over lapped, so that they could reach each other a little bit, after a few short sessions of combined play time. Two weeks ago there were a few hours of lovely grooming and snuggling in Rodya's cage, until Rodya started chasing Pico waaay too much for my comfort, so I pulled Pico. Then I tried again last week, same story.
This week, I was cleaning Pico's cage and he was in his play pen, but kept climbing out :hair:, so I popped him in Rodya's cage for a bit, and they seemed to do fine for about an hour (I was scrubbing everything with vinegar, REALLY cleaning). Then they started kacking at each other, and Rodya started chasing Pico. I happened to have my squirt gun on hand-I use it for my roommate's cat, who may be the devil lol-and just as a reflex because I was so used to squirting Milo with it, I squirted it right at the two boys without even thinking about it!
Well, let me tell you what, first there was confusion, then Rodya, who was the one to get wet, gave me the dirtiest look I have ever seen from a chinchilla :laughitup: I was happy it worked so well and about 10 minutes later I did it again, when Rodya started chasing Pico (the cat has given me great aim, BTW, I was able to get Rodya mid air from the top ledge to the bottom), and Rodya was so surprised that he stopped completely. I moved them both into Pico's completely scrubbed cage, and I moved that into my bedroom. I slept with them RIGHT next to my head in case anything happened overnight, but there were no problems. I slept with them next to my head last night to, but again, we were good, and when I came home from work today (the first time I've let them be alone for more than an hour, unsupervised), they were sleeping next to each other.
This is awesome! Now I can get rid of a cage! WOOHOO! :dance3:
I'm so excited that they are cage buddies now :] Rodya won't be so lonely (he was lonely without Sonya), and Pico has a friend too! Sonya likes her cage all to herself, she's a total space hog, and Mork won't ever be paired with anyone for his and their safety, so this is it for now!
Just thought I'd share my long, drawn out tale with you all because I am soooo excited about this! I love seeing the two boys cuddling and loving and grooming each other :kiss:

Never heard of the water spray on chins, but I have used it on cats before, haha. I wouldn't have thought of that and am curious what others think of it or have done it. I'm glad they are getting along, though.

I would just make sure they can dust and dry, if you hadn't already thought of that. Maybe the spray was enough of a distraction for Rodya to get used to having Pico in the cage without it making her angry eventually.

That's so great Britt! I love the feeling of getting pairs together :D I've never heard of the water spraying too haha. I sometimes blow lightly on their face if they fight or are just being buttholes, so I guess the water is similar. Either way, i'm glad it worked! Enjoy the snuggly boys :)

I don't like the idea of the water squirting myself, especially if you are going to do it to get them to stop something. Spraying by chins is a defense mechanism so they think you are p.o.ed at them, not good when you are trying to build trust.

Thanks everyone!
Dawn, I never thought of it like that! No wonder Rodya was so surprised, he must have thought I sprayed him! No worries though, I don't plan on doing it again, and the two times I mentioned in my OP were the only 2 squirts. The first time was an accident, the second I meant to, but I know I won't be doing it ever again--not that I need to.
Caiti, they got to share a dust bath that night after they dried :)
Kim, I blow in Mork's face and he likes it :eyeroll:
Barb, that's what I planned to do; the cage they've been in for the past 2 days (Pico's) has garbage plastic shelves so it's been totally disassembled, and they are now in a tall 'cat cage' --4 feet by two feet by 3 feet--with wooden shelves. Pico's cage is all folded up on top of theirs right now, actually. Space saving, woohoo!
Pictures to come.

SDC13715.jpg

SDC13706.jpg

SDC13720.jpg

SMOOCH!!
SDC13721.jpg

Back