Finally was allowed to give scritches!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koopashark

<--- fluffy troublemaker
Clark up until now has only let us pet his nose, and even that was only on occasion and he didn't let us do it for very long. Last night, he was sitting on a shelf so I reached in and scratched under the side of his chin, and boy did I hit the spot! He tilted his little head to the side, closed his eyes and his front paw went up and out to the side. My heart just melted! Who knows if he'll let me do that again anytime soon but I was happy for the night. I wish I had gotten a video but instead, here's a picture of my silly boy fast asleep with his tube as a face rest. :)

photo1.png

Congrats, I remember the first time my female actually let me give her scritches. I felt so accomplished!

That's awesome! How long have you had him?
The first time Candy let me scritch her was when I was trying to take her out of the cage for play time. She hates being handled. She froze, and I very gently started scritching and talking, thinking I was soothing her...Not! The second I stopped she peed all over me and ran away. GoGo still does not like being scritched. Rocky will tolerate it if she's in the mood.
Love the photo, too. Enjoy the scritching!

Too funny! We've had him a little over 4 months now. He would climb all over us, sniff our fingers, give kisses etc. but never the scritches. I got another one in this morning when I was cleaning his cage! Koopa will sometimes let us scratch his belly, but most of the time he just runs away. We've only had him for 2 months though, hopefully he'll come around too.

Congrats! I love landmark days. :)

I've had Phoebe for over a year now, and although she likes scritches, she only recently finally gave me whisker kisses!! And SHE initiated it. #proudmoment

Congrats!!
Chia won't let me give her scritches very often, and we've had her for 11 months. She'll let my bf though. Both chinnies like my bf more than me for some strange reason... it could be because he's around a lot more since he works from home (ugh lucky so-and-so...) and the chinnies are in our office/computer room with him all day.

Awe aren't you lucky!
Shiloh won't let anyone give her scitches yet. :c She'll climb on us and sit on us (the other day my husband had her out when I was sleeping and she jumped on my face! she woke me up and just sat there. -.-) but she hates her facial area to be touched at all. I have yet to win her complete trust >:eek: But I look forward to it.

So, here's a related question for those who have a lot of chinnie experience: do some chins just not really LIKE scritchies? Pipsqueak used to about turn himself inside out so that I could scritchy every.last.spot. Asa will tolerate scritchies for about 2 scritches, then he wants to do something else. So, I am just wondering if it is a personality thing.

All the chins I've had the pleasure of coming in contact with have liked it, but I've read posts from others saying it really depends on the chin. And I have noticed tolerance differences with the three I've had.

My first was a very laid back chin. It took him a couple months before he let me pet him at all, and only on his face (chin and forehead). Then at about 6 months I noticed he was letting me get farther and farther back from his head. After a year I could pet his back but had to stay clear of his tail.

My current two are much different. Miesha likes to be scratched but not petted. Seems there's a difference. And sometimes would rather play chase than sit for the scratch. Sonic doesn't care what you're doing as long as it's touching him and not grabbing/holding. Very, um, lovey chin, until you try to pick him up. Then he's under a shelf waiting for you to change your mind about that.

That's my experience with my three. Maybe someone with more can give their account.

Latest posts

Back