finally some photos of Rhino!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
yay! he's finally comfortable enough with me to come oot n aboot for play time. took him about two minutes to discover that popping in and out from behind the pillows makes for a fun peek a boo game, lol.

and i finished installing the rest of his shelves, woo hoo! so glad to get those wire mesh ones out of there. hope my camphor order gets here soon so i can give him his corner hammock, yummy wood stuff and toys, and his tortoro trail. you can see my attempt at a homemade fleece tube on the bottom left, lol. coffee can is one size too small though, but he likes to pull the dang thing all over the place, so it's staying in for a toy.

enjoy! :)) sorry for the poor photo quality, all i have right now is my cellphone to snap pictures.

oh, the stink eye shot is when i'm telling him to move his hiney so i can take out that wire shelf. silly boy......

Attachments

• 1-0831.jpg
    1-0831.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 1-0833.jpg
    1-0833.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 1-0835.jpg
    1-0835.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 1-0826.jpg
    1-0826.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 1-0838.jpg
    1-0838.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 59
Great pics. He is a cutey

Just one pointer though. I also have fleece on the outside of Winston's cage, however, its only on one side. I think it would limit airflow, and perhaps make it a little bit warmer in the cage :)

Alli at Camphor Chins makes great tubes and covers...and she ships to Canada. I buy from her often and shipping isnt bad at all. Its the perfect size...Winston loves his.

And you might want to be careful with the coffee can...sometimes they have a plastic lining in them..not chinnie safe.

Have you thought about getting fleece liners made for the cage? Easy Clean up!! :)

What a little doll! I bet he just loves his new mommy! Thanks for sharing!

Why do you have the fleece cover over the cage? I agree with Emily, it could get hot in there?! I do think you did a great job with the shelves in the cage. It looks great!!

thanks for the compliments! :)) i figure i did a pretty good job for first shelves ever, and found out putting hanger bolts in by hand hurts like you wouldn't believe! lol. next time i'm commandeering my dad's hand held drill for sure.

my bedroom only has a light curtain on the window, so i put the fleece blanket over the cage so he can have things a little darker during the day to sleep. not sure if that makes much difference to him, but it makes me feel better, lol. it's not warm in there at all - i put a digital thermometer in his cage for about an hour while he was out playing and it read 69F/20.5C. i have the heat vents closed in my room and have a small fan providing a little air current, but not aimed directly at his cage. if necessary i can crack the window that is across the room from his cage, and i'm currently shopping around for an a/c unit because spring/summer is just around the corner (even though it certainly doesn't feel that way! lol). i know about keeping chins cool, but thanks for the concern.

the coffee can doesn't have any coating on the inside - i did a scratch test with a sharp screwdriver on another identical can i have. i'll be making a better one once i can get my hands on a bigger can or tube (going to petsmart today, might just break down and buy a chube). i know Alli sells them, and i actually have an order on it's way right now from her for a hammock and some wood, toys and such. i figure if i can make my own fleece tube it saves money and gives me a project that involves dusting off my sewing machine, lol. this first tube was just an experiment of sorts.

and oh, Rhino likes reba macyntire, lol. one of her songs came on the radio (i leave it on low volume for Rhino), and he was on the edge of my bed and his ears perked right up and he sat still and stared at the radio for the whole song. glad his musical taste is in line with mine, lol.

very cute chinnie. good job on all the shelves. i have used fleece covers on my cages when my boys were upstairs.....most of them did well but 1 did try to pull it in his cage so his got removed. it really doesnt restrict airflow that much and they seem to like the darkness.

oh, Rhino likes reba macyntire, lol. one of her songs came on the radio (i leave it on low volume for Rhino), and he was on the edge of my bed and his ears perked right up and he sat still and stared at the radio for the whole song. glad his musical taste is in line with mine, lol.

Haha, that's always a plus when musical tastes line up! I haven't quite figured out if my chinnies prefer a certain music. I don't play music too much at home, mostly in the car. I might have to try it soon!

oh, totally missed your question on fleece liners emily!

yes, i'll be sewing some hopefully this weekend. for now, my kiddo let me have her toy dust pan and hand broom to clean up the cage bottom. feels silly using a toy with 'just like mom' printed on it, lol, but it works for now.

Rhino is adorable! Looks like he was having a blast playing in the pillows.
The shelves look amazing and I'm sure he will enjoy his toys from Alli.

a few more shots that didn't make it into the first post.

i'm ready for my close-up mr deville!
1-0855.jpg

his other peek a boo game, lol
1-0851.jpg

odd angle photo, makes his head look huge and his hiney look tiny, hahaha.
1-0860.jpg

He is cute! I know he loves being spoiled rotten by you.

I have fleece on the tops of my cages to keep out some light and I think it makes them feel more safe. I don't have a problem with them getting too hot because I keep the room at about 66. If you feel his ears they should be cool, not at all warm. They do look a little red in some of the pics, but that could just be because it is a cell phone pic.

the red is the cellphone camera settings (it really is a crappy camera on my phone!) combined with the fact that there is a lot of blue in the photos making other things look more 'warm' than they really are. in a couple shots i took that didn't make it on here, the pine shelves look like cedar due to the camera! lol. his ears are cool and so are his feet, and i haven't seen his sides heaving at all when he's breathing, even after running around.

oh, another thing - he can't stand his whiskers being touched! lol. if i so much as brush them lightly he goes into a mad grooming session and it almost looks like he's shadow boxing, hahaha!

i was told he's a year old, but who knows?? he is a daddy, that much i do know, and the kit was born not too long ago (photos from january 8 that i've seen say the kit is 1 day old).

i don't have a scale yet (going to try and talk my stepmom out of her kitchen scale she never uses, lol, or go buy one), and then i'll know his weight and let y'all know too.

Latest posts

Back