Finally not watching from afar!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiLynnCVT

Hello everyone,
I am Jessi, a Certified Veterinary Technician from Illinois. I have been on this site for about two years and finally decided to jump in :D. I really enjoy the community created here. I have worked the past 2.5 years at a strictly exotic animal hospital, and recently due to the commute have been working full time in ER/ICU. Enough about me and onto the fur kids! I share my home with 6 wonderful chinchillas who have all made their way into my home through unfortunate circumstances. The first 3 were all females that I was pet sitting for another "technician". When they came to me one had untreated malo and a corneal ulcer. So off to my vet she went. Their owner never picked them up or offered to pay her vet bill and when I contacted her she threatened to euthanize them because she didn't have time for them any longer. They were only four years old and all from breeders. Needless to say they have been with me since and I have never talked to her again. Zelda is a white mosaic, Midna a TOV ebony, and Agatha is a beige. They were obviously not handled much before they came to me. But in the two years they have been here they have become very social. My next set were a pair of males that came to me through the exotics hospital I worked at. We received a call from Animal Control that a man was evicted from his home and had two chinchillas that they could not keep. I had an extra ferret nation sitting around and couldn't say no knowing that they would be euthanized. They came to me in pretty poor condition eating guinea pig food with seeds, moldy raisons, and no hay what so ever. Owner was using actual sand as dust for them. Lord Jabu Jabu had severe malo at the time with a few teeth rotting out, he was 8-10 years old and a handsome old violet male. And Dodongo was a spunky 10+ male who was actually in much better shape with the exception of having an enlarged heart on radiographs and hypotrophic cardiomyopathy on ultrasound *which is being treated and stable*. Both males were very social from day one. Both were neutered in case they could live with the females however no such luck, oh well right! And the most recent rescue is Impa. She came in through our clinic with a really sad history. She was for sale at a petshop and someone had dropped her on the ground fracturing her back leg out of the skin. The petstore employee literally shoved the bone back in! No medications, no surgery, nothing. She sat there for 3 days before it started to become infected and they called the exotics clinic I worked at. They wouldn't pay for anything so my boss told them to sign her over to the clinic. I received a call at 9am on my day off asking if I wanted to give her a chance, she was only 4-5 weeks old. I told her yes and to take her in to surgery. I hadn't even met her. I drove in that day to see her after her surgery. She was a little trooper went through the leg amputation just fine and bounced back like she had never had anything wrong.

Wow that was long! Sorry, anyway hope to chat with all of you soon!

Latest posts

Back