Fig wood

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigertron

So this is something I have been curious about for some time. I have a fig tree in my back yard and trim it every year in the fall. I save some of the small branches for my outdoor fire place.

No where have I ever seen that fig wood is ok for chinchillas to chew but I have given small branches (very dry) to my chins and they really love it. Grab it and run away hiding with it like a cranberry.

If you have never seen fig wood when fresh cut the new wood has a milky sap that looks like Elmer's glue and is sweet. After it has dried for several months the sap evaporates and the wood still has a sweet taste and smells just like vanilla.

The chins love the bark and will eat all that first and then ignore the core.

So the few times I had give it to the chin I see no adverse reaction so it's not toxic (I ate some first) but I don't really know so what do you folks think?

Tony

I see. Well I always give them small twigs that have been dried for a couple months. They do love it. I would say I have only given about 10-15 small twigs over the last two years. All new wood none of the old wood. And of course washed. I also never use pesticides.

My fig tree is a purple fruit type.

Latest posts

Back