Ferret Nation ???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

beckie467

Anyone ever triple stacked your FN?? I have 3 chins, 2 are in the FN but both in different sections. I have an older chin she's 15 and does NOT enjoy company, so Chi-Chi is in the bottom and Aurora is in the top. But I feel terrible because Dart doesn't have as great of a cage. I would consider getting a double FN again but price wise it's just easier to get the one story add on, but I was wondering just how tall that would be. I mean I can kind of imagine it but I just don't know if it's actually doable or if it's not worth trying.

I originally bought Dart to breed with Aurora and I've done a lot of research on it, but after seeing how many chins are without homes and how hard it is for most breeders to find homes for the kits, I've decided at least for the time being to be a pet only home with some pretty awesome chins. So I'm trying to update my cages one by one and Dart's is the last one to update. So if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

You can stack a 142 and and 143. The 143 is the one that is just the add on unit.

It will depend on if you want to reach that high, and if your ceilings will be tall enough.

Ferret-Cages-Stack.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen other people do it like that. I am only 5 foot so I would have a hard time but have thought about doing it like that. I would be nervous about it not being stable but apparently a lot of people do stack it that high and don't have a problem. I have thought about taking the storage shelf off and just putting the casters right on the bottom of the actual cage to make it shorter.

A 2 story FN is about 5 feet, so with the add on unit you can count on 8 feet high. At first I wanted this add on unit, but when I put together the 2 story one I just changed my mind!

Yeah my 2 story is tall, but I was just trying to come up with something for Dart. I just didn't know if it was almost impossible to reach or if it was really unsterdy. I guess I'll have to think on what I'm going to do.

we have 2 FN's stacked 3 high. we did take the storage shelf off the bottom and just put the casters right on the floor, it is tall, (i have to stand on a little stool to reach the top) but it works really well if you are trying to save space, i love them like that.

I have mine stacked 3 high. Works great for me, but I'm also 5'11" and don't have a problem reaching to clean and to get my chinnies. I also still have the bottom shelf area on it also. It's about 3" off of my ceiling and 7' high.

3264393344_bab3c05c81_b.jpg

Thanks so much for the picture! I know I have it 2 tiers high but it's hard to imagine it with another one for some reason. I'm really leaning towards adding the third tier, I can get a step latter to reach (I'm only 5'6" so I wouldn't be able to reach it without a little help lol)

No problem! I actually just bought an ottoman from Wal-Mart that I can store my liners in and sit on when playing with the chins in the bottom level and stand on when I need to clean my ledges. It works great and it matches my bedspread :) It's quite comfortable actually..

I have been considering the third level option. I think it may be too tall personally. The only thing I think may actually be cool is to omit the floor grate between the second and third floors. This way, there wouldn't be a high pan to clean often, and the floor between the first and second floors would be a safeguard from chins falling too far (of course, I would still stretch a hammock somewhere in the middle to prevent unintentional chins falls). Then again, if hammoncks are stretched at regular intervals, one could actually just omit both level grates and just have the bottom pan, but I imagine flying poos would be a serious problem (well, more than it usually is) due to the height and the trajectory angles the chins seem to be able to manage with the poo flinging. :hair:

Just a suggestion, but why don't you just get the 141? It has the stand, is a one level and cheaper than the 142. Then you could always buy an add on for that one if you wanted. :)

Back