Ferret Nation Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

area07

So my new Ferret Nation came today! :dance3: I'm so excited to get it set up! Max and Kin will take over it once they are able to live together but for now I'm going to work on getting it set up but I have a few questions.

Do you recommend keeping the middle level, or taking it out?
How many shelves do you recommend putting in?
Any recommendations on good, reliable places to order shelves, tubes etc. for it?
Where can I order the deep metal pans for it?

Thanks for any help!
Ashley

I have 3 FN142's and 2 have the middle level in them and the other 1 that has 3 chins does not. But if you decide to leave out the middle level you need to make sure that there is enough ledges, hammocks and shelves. Take a moment to look at the ferret nation club thread for some great ideas -

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134

As far as accessories are concerned, I recommend camphorchins.com, fuzzieskingdom.com or you can look up a few stores in the classified section. The metal pans (ferret pans) can be ordered from bassequipment.com

Here are some pics of my FN142 without the middle level. I've made sure they have several levels that they can jump off without falling straight down if they were at the top.

16a77750.jpg

Last edited:
I have been browsing the FN club thread. They all are so amazing and I've already got some great ideas!

Max loves to jump, a lot! I would like to not have the middle in to give him more room to jump all over, but his safety is more important to me. I love the Christmas theme of your cages BTW! They look so cute! I see that you left the original shelves in and just covered them with fleece, that is a really good idea!

Ashley

We kept the middle shelf with the hole open and just cover the plastic pan that came with it with a fleece liner. My fear is that they could fall from the top to the bottom and hurt themselves. Sandi's shelves overlap so her chins are safe without the middle. I think it would be personal preference. We have two tubes, a hammock, hidey hut, flying saucer and at least a half dozen shelves in our FNs but don't have any pictures.

I get a lot of my supplies from people in the Chin Supply section here. They know chinchillas and so far I have been very happy with everything so I can't name a favorite. I also sew some of my own fleece and my husband is now a master shelf maker.

Awesome! You have to post pictures once you have it all set up! :thumbsup:

I love looking at the thread that has the pictures of everyone's FN cages!

I am currently still saving for my FN; where did you get yours at?

poos flying

I have just put in some ledges in my FN and I have lots of poos on the floor every morning I went to my chin room. :hair: The Poos are more than what I usually have when I am using a 30" length and 32" height cages. I have seen lots of FN members have more ledges than me in their FN, does u guys have these big problem too?

I have just put in some ledges in my FN and I have lots of poos on the floor every morning I went to my chin room. :hair: The Poos are more than what I usually have when I am using a 30" length and 32" height cages. I have seen lots of FN members have more ledges than me in their FN, does u guys have these big problem too?

Any cage that is taller is going to give the poop more opportunity and distance to fly out.

Do you have backs on your ledges? That keeps some of the poos in the cage.

To the OP, I have two FNs, both with the middle divider. One FN has the cutout, and the other is separated into two cages. I like having the middle divider because its another large surface to put things like hidey houses, food dishes, etc, and you don't have to worry about them falling as far of a distance. If you do take out the middle, I would maybe do as Sandi did and keep the large shelves that come with the FN, just cover them with fleece. As far as shelves, most people make their own. Look under the DIY project listing and there is a thread that details how to make some shelves.

Do you have backs on your ledges? That keeps some of the poos in the cage.

To the OP, I have two FNs, both with the middle divider. One FN has the cutout, and the other is separated into two cages. I like having the middle divider because its another large surface to put things like hidey houses, food dishes, etc, and you don't have to worry about them falling as far of a distance. If you do take out the middle, I would maybe do as Sandi did and keep the large shelves that come with the FN, just cover them with fleece. As far as shelves, most people make their own. Look under the DIY project listing and there is a thread that details how to make some shelves.

I have the middle divider and with bass 2.5" pans. I don't have back on the ledges.

I have tried with using the large shelves that come with the FN and the shelves with fleece cover, but there are more poos.:wacko:

Latest posts

Back