Ferret Nation Doors?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

I have a feeling someone posted about Ferret Nation doors being easy to open for tiny little chinchilla paws. I did a search for it but couldn't find anything.

Is this an issue? We just bought a 181 for a very precocious little chinchilla.

None of mine have ever been able to get them open and I have quite a few...but I do think someone did mention theirs did before...Che' maybe...??? Can't remember for sure...

My chins have never been able to open them either! The only issue i ever had was when i first got my chin she was still so small she could squeeze through the bars.

Because you have to squeeze up and down at the same time to open the doors I would be really surprised if a chin could manage it. I think what is more likely is that if the door is not 100% shut, a chin could, given enough effort, push a door open. I've had that happen once and now I have twist ties that I use to secure the doors shut together, once I have shut them securely, just to make sure there is a backup in case the door is for some reason not fully shut.

I have never seen my chins even try. I would think it would be very very difficult for those little chin paws. But who knows.

The open door issue that I have had has always been 100% my fault as the doors can "look like they are closed and caught-knobs even" when they actually haven't. I've gotten into the habit of checking twice to make sure they catch but just a month ago I missed one double check and a chin had free roam in the chin room. Luckily no harm came to him but I have since started putting S hooks on each latch just to be safe!

I think the Feisty Ferret cage door is closed with a hook and I think that may be what you are thinking of. I know someone had a chin learn to open it and escaped in the middle of the night.

The only time we've had escapes with the ferret nation is from me not closing the door shut as well. Congratulations on the new cage.

Agreed with everyone; just make sure the latches actually catch and you'll be good to go!

I find the doors hard to open sometimes... and I have thumbs... and strong hands (at least compared to a chin!). I can't imagine a chinchilla ever being able to open them. I had escapees before but as other people mentioned it was my own stupidity... I left the door open. Woke up to the girls under my bed one morning. Thankfully all they did was chew up a word search book. The S hook is a clever idea that wouldn't take anymore time than latching.

s hook

I can't claim the s hook idea.I got that 411 from another forum.But it works great since I've used them no escapes even though I have found another door that looked latched but wasn't since I put the hooks on.:thumbsup:

Agree with the above. If closed properly, the ferret nation cannot be open by a chin due to the latching mechanism....the knockoff cages with latches are a different story....

Thanks everyone! We got it set up and I see what you mean. She'd have to get creative to escape. Also I didn't realize how huge they are! She's a very spoiled little monkey.

I have never had issues with mine either. As others said you just need to make sure itis actually closed. I double check every time to make sure it is actually closed

Latest posts

Back