Ferret Nation Cages: Pros and Cons

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYChinchillas

www.LYChinchillas.com
Hi everyone! I recently changed from my custom-built cages to Ferret Nation model 182. After much deliberation, I've written a comprehensive list of Pros and Cons for these cages as opposed to my much-loved custom cages. You can read the full report including descriptions at http://lychinchillas.com/2015/04/08/ferret-nation-cages-pros-and-cons/ but these are just the main bullet points!

PROS

• User-Friendly, Lots of Control
  • Reliable Doors
  • Mobility
  • Light
  • Universal Nature
  • Longevity
  • Professional Look
  • Safe and Sturdy
  • Easy to Clean
  • Resale Value
  • Brand Recognition

CONS

• Customization/Inability to Prorate Space
  • More Width Than Height
  • Presence
  • Loud
  • Bars and Biting
  • Cleaning Between the Bars
  • Ferret Nation Quality Control
  • Plastic Bottoms and Platforms
  • Shaking
  • Cost

There's a paragraph or so more on the blog for each bullet point, describing the Pro or Con in much more detail. Hope this can help anyone looking to buy a FN 182! ;)

I regards to the noise I went round with putty and where the racks slot in the cage put the putty in, just a small amount and the chins have no way of reaching it. net result is a silent cage.

That's a good idea. Since FN cages consist largely of bars, the bars reverberate sound against any connected point, such as hammock hangers, which can't really accept putty. It doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like to hear my chins moving through their cages - but it could be annoying for others.

Mostly I do it for the base areas beneath the pans, in my cage the slot in so I damp those and put damping material between the pans and the bars, that way its a bit more reasonable :)

Back