Ferret Nation Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

I'm thinking about getting a ferret nation cage and getting rid of my quality cage chinchilla mansion. But I was just wondering, what is all the stuff you need to make it chinchilla friendly, what I liked about the QC is that it came with the wood shelves to put in, I noticed FN doesn't have the wood shelves but a couple actual shelves, are those enough for them, or did you add more?
Did you take out the ramps, or just cover them with something? I'm wondering if it'd be better to just take them out and let them jump to the next shelve unless the opening is too small. Any advice would be great.

If you search, there are a few threads with nothing but cage pictures and ideas. It'll take hours to look at all of them but they are awesome! Have fun and happy decorating!

We have two FN's. We took out the shelves that came with them. They're plastic and I've seen them get chewed. We had a rescue come in a bit ago with an FN with the regular shelves all chewed to bits.

I suppose you could use the regular shelves if you were to cover them with fleece. Same with the ramps. For me, the cages we had, I just took the shelves and ramps completely out and did the cages with pine shelving. Even if you were going to cover the original shelves in fleece and leave them in, my own personal opinion is that you'd still want to add more shelves, otherwise I feel you're not getting as much use out of the cage as you could. I always say that since chins can't fly, huge areas of the cage without shelves don't do them any good. So I'd put more shelves.

And definitely check out the FN Club thread, there are awesome pictures on there of decked out FNs.

It is kind of a pain that the shelves that come with the FN have to be removed or covered with fleece, but the main appeal of getting an FN is that they are SO easy to clean. And of course that they are so spacious. But as greychins was saying, it doesn't make much sense to have a FN if you don't fill up all that space with lots of shelving. I would take out the shelves and ramps and replace them with wooden shelves, lava ledges, tubes, etc. so that the chin has more room to run around. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot you can purchase a piece or two of kiln dried pine and have them cut it to the lengths you want, and then you can make your own shelves that way. Then I would cover the plastic pans with fleece or buy Bass pans to replace them if you're going to use pine shavings. Just take a look at the FN club thread and you'll see what I mean.

What is it about the quality cage mansion that you don't like?

There's nothing I really dislike about it, But I was just looking at pics of the FN and really like the design. My Chins seem to love the QC so I may not change over, but if I did, I was a curious as to what others did with certain thing like the shelves and steps.

It is kind of a pain that the shelves that come with the FN have to be removed or covered with fleece, but the main appeal of getting an FN is that they are SO easy to clean. And of course that they are so spacious. But as greychins was saying, it doesn't make much sense to have a FN if you don't fill up all that space with lots of shelving. I would take out the shelves and ramps and replace them with wooden shelves, lava ledges, tubes, etc. so that the chin has more room to run around. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot you can purchase a piece or two of kiln dried pine and have them cut it to the lengths you want, and then you can make your own shelves that way. Then I would cover the plastic pans with fleece or buy Bass pans to replace them if you're going to use pine shavings. Just take a look at the FN club thread and you'll see what I mean.

What is it about the quality cage mansion that you don't like?

Back