Ferret Nation Cage - Safety

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

So I purchased the FN142 cage finally. I want to make sure I set up the cage in the most appropriate manner. What should I do and shouldn't?!
(This cage good for two chinchillas together?)

I was looking at all the set ups in the Ferret Nation Club thread. They were so interesting!

My one chinchilla is so hyperactive I'm worried about her falling and flying into ledges. This unavoidable? She already split her nose once.

And anyone have any vendors they recomend for fleece products? And ALSO, wood products? Thanks!

If your one chin is hyperactive I would highly recommened using the cut out middle layer and not having the entire cage be open. Most chins should have no problem jumping the length of half a FN, so that should prevent serious falls/injuries. I'd also recommened getting metal bass pans from http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx. They were the best investment I ever made for my FN cages. This way you don't have to worry about your chin chewing the plastic pans and getting an impaction.

As far as vendors, there is a master list in the classified section. I, along with several other people make fleece items.

I've never tried Christine/twilightchinchillas, houses/beds but I've heard good things about them.

If your one chin is hyperactive I would highly recommened using the cut out middle layer and not having the entire cage be open. Most chins should have no problem jumping the length of half a FN, so that should prevent serious falls/injuries. I'd also recommened getting metal bass pans from http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx. They were the best investment I ever made for my FN cages.

I agree on both! I have a young 1 yr old chin, he is a hyper little booger, too. He is in a half FN, he's fallen several times while wall surfing in the cage, and he has not yet suffered an injury from it (knock on wood!). And Bass pans are definitely the best way to cut the mess.

ACTUALLY I just received the cage from my friend. It is NOT a 142, it is the 182 model. Ah, is there a dramatic difference? It seems exactly the same.

the 182 is the new 'no tools' assembly version. it is exactly the same as the 142 in regards to everything but the way it's put together.

Okay!

I successfully put it together and set it up for the meantime.

However my girls when nuts with all the extra space that I now see HOW important it is to get the deeper pan, nevermind its plastic.

Thank you everyone for your help. Its appreciated.

Latest posts

Back