Ferret Nation Cage 141 modification

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigt1238

Ok, so let me start out by saying i recently adopted my chinchilla on 8/20. I conducted so much research on chinchillas, between history of the animal itself, to diet and nutrition to proper housing. One thing that i did not find in my research was how much they poop! This does not particularly bother me, however i own a Ferret Nation 141 cage. The fact that there is no drop pan makes it difficult to clean. I made fleece liners but Clyde (my chinchilla) either does not like them or finds the need to kick it into a corner. So here is what i am thinking; i want to modify the cage by first getting 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch galvanized mesh. I want to take out the ferret nation pan and actually mount in beneath the actual cage. I plan on placing the mesh over the actual floor of the cage as the walking surface. My problem is i am having a hard time figuring out how to mount the pan. I want something that makes it easy to slide the pan in and out for cleaning, so my first thought was using L-Brackets screwed into the metal. This would work of course, but it would be a tedious process i think. If anyone can give me any suggestions on how to mount the pan, or otherwise please let me know! :hmm:

If your looking for a way to contain poop, you could try a Bass pan (they make them specifically for FNs) and ask for them to customize the height of the pan. When I had my chin that's what I used and it seemed to help (although she did kick her poop off her shelves too lol)
Or there is someone on here that makes wooden "guards" for around the bottom of the cage to contain poo. I can't remember who it is, but I sure someone knows :)

I have actually been taking meassurements of the cage, i think as far as modifying it goes i am going to use L brackets, first by using a high powered drill to drill holes into the metal of the cage (not inside the cage or anywhere where my little guy could get to the hard ware) and attach L brackets to all sides but the front so that i can easily slide the pan in and out. This seems like a better idea to me then buying a new cage, and as far as a bass pan goes, i am going to spend just as much on the pan as i am for the hardware to modify the cage. However while surfing the web i came accross a URL for a website where people build these really awesome cages, and i am considering down the line purchasing one from them, the design is great and the way the pan at the bottom is layed out would fit my needs i think based on the actual structure. http://www.4jsplantation.com/cages.html

i like the a frame, i have seen one with a chinchilla in it the door is on the front and its a decent size, plus if your chinchilla is ANYTHING like mine, when i open the cage doors he comes running to the front so getting him out wouldnt be a problem for me.

If your looking for a way to contain poop, you could try a Bass pan (they make them specifically for FNs) and ask for them to customize the height of the pan. When I had my chin that's what I used and it seemed to help (although she did kick her poop off her shelves too lol)
Or there is someone on here that makes wooden "guards" for around the bottom of the cage to contain poo. I can't remember who it is, but I sure someone knows :)

That would be me. :)
The cage bottom surrounds serve double duty: as a scatter guard and a safe chew option.

Latest posts

Back