Fenrich is going CRAZY

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pants567

So I really don't know what the issue is... my boyfriend left for work over an hour ago and FenFen has been barking almost the entire time. Usually he is a very quiet chinchilla.
Usually when he barks it is because he wants his cage to be cleaned or because he wants something, as soon as I give it to him he stops barking. Well, this time, he just won't stop! I cleaned his cage, gave him all new hay, all new food and fresh water. I gave him sticks and some chews and even a treat and a dust bath. I checked him for a hair ring since I hadn't done a check in two months and he's clean. I put his buddy back in his cage. I had taken it out because he kept knocking it onto the corner he pees in. I really don't know what else to do and he is driving me BONKERS. :hair:
For about ten minutes after his dust bath he was quiet, but now he has started again. I'm not near the cage so I don't think it is him warning me away, he didn't even try to nibble me or try to get away when I pet him at first hoping it would be what he wanted. There hasn't been any loud noises, well any noises besides the tv and no weird smells that I can comprehend. He just stares at me and barks and doesn't stop.
He is eating/pooping/drinking normally, his eyes and nose are clear. It is about 65 degrees in here. Is there any other reason people can think of for him barking? Doesn't like the tv show I'm watching? Any advice to help appease him would be appreciated.

He has me trained as far as when he wants his cage cleaned or food, but he hasn't even touched the sticks I gave him which is odd for him. He still hasn't stopped barking and even when I pet him he continues barking. I tried to let him out but he wouldn't come out of the cage. I think it might have something to do with the fact that his daddy left.

did your bf leave at a different time than usual? was he in a big rush to get out the door on time? those two things could have made FenFen uncomfortable and he's barking due to it.

Nope, he leaves every other day at the same time. I went outside with him to take some things to the car but I usually go outside at the same time for the same reason. He seems to have calmed down a little bit. Instead of constant barking he seems to only have little spurts of barking every 15 minutes or so.

Is Fenrich a "teenager"? Buddha used to have barking fits for 30-40 minutes without reason. Luckily it only lasted a month, but that was one rough month with a very displeased chin!

He is about nine months old. It could be hormones I suppose since I literally cannot think of anything else. Maybe that is why he sat so still and was quiet when I did his hair ring check =/

Ha! Good luck! I hope he calms down sooner rather than later for you. Buddha was something else. I was subject to foot stomping, random outbursts, and an overabundance of stink eye.

I went to the printmaking studio for an hour or so and in the mean time my boyfriend came home. Apparently he hasn't been barking the whole time I was gone and now that I'm home he is quiet. It seems to be that he only misbehaves when I'm the only one home. Luckily his personality hasn't changed too much (yet). He likes skritches a bit more and is just louder. I really hope that is the only change because he is usually such a sweety. I'm getting him a wheel soon so maybe he'll get rid of his excess energy on that instead of barking at me!

I think the wheel will definitely help a bit. Buddha was only unbearable for a month and then went right back to being a little love. I've read other posts where it lasted much longer. Nixi was just really bipolar from about 8-12 months old. I noticed nothing with Boji or Maia, so it really does vary by chin.

Is teenage rebellion mostly in boys? I have 3 little girls and have not seen any of these tantrums. Now, I have 3 human sons but we won't even go there!

My one girl, who is just about to turn 1yo, will throw those barking tantrums as well. Only difference is that she only does it when my dad is here. Something about him i guess'

Back