female was spayed yesterday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

Hey guys i had a female that got spayed yesterday (had 2 babies stuck, they didnt make it) and i am getting critical care and i have baby gas drops. But is there any meds i need to keep GI system going? Or type of pain med needed? Thanks!

Vet should have given you pain meds. If not, call and ask them to. My female did just fine after her spay, I didn't have to hand feed at all. Just kept her on fleece while she recovered.

Im picking her up in a few hours. She will be on antibiotics too i think. She wasnt eating but idk what he offered. He got her to eat pea baby food... i just want to make sure she doesnt go in to gi stasis. Her surgery was at 7pm last night and if she hasent ate anything except a little bit of baby food, it worries me. I had a male neutered and he was fine but this was a more invasive surgery and a female who has had dead kits and dying uterus, to me thats more than enough to want to be cautious and prepared. Idk if she got toxic at all from it or not but hopefully not. Ill update here in about 2 hours after i get her. I just wanted to make sure i get the right drugs so her body heals and not have issues with bloat.

After she has pain killers in her, she should eat. But always good to be prepared. Don't know why he fed her baby food.... strange

the exotics vet at the clinic is on vacation. this vet was stepping in to do what he could. i was a little irritated when they said they gave her baby food but i wounder if they had any pellets or hay even to offer her. also she is 6 years old too.

vet called and didn't like how she looked so he is keeping her one more night and giving her fluids. i asked him if he wanted me to bring him some CC and he didnt know what it was. i told him its what people usually feed after a surgery. he thought they had something like that for birds.... but he likes to give them baby food to get their guts going again. i offered to bring food and hay too but he said no.. hopefully tomorrow i will get her. :/

I know vets that use baby food. As long as its not fruit based and doesn't have high salt or onions(which most don't) they work great as a cc replacement in a pinch. I still prefer cc over any other option.

Would baby food have the fibre she needs? I've only ever used critical care.

Extra probiotics would probably help too....you can get acidophilus capsules from any pharmacy. Just break one open and add it to the watery cc mix.
While you're at the pharmacy, get several 15ml wide bore syringes as well, for feeding the cc mix. Eyedroppers also work, but syringes will allow you to more accurately monitor how much she is taking.

Use the search function on the forum to find tips on how to "burrito" her....it's a way of safely holding her still if she tries to fight you when you're giving her food. If she wont eat out of the syringe herself, then you will need to force feed her: this is when burritoing is invaluable.
She'll need around 100mls of cc mix a day....break up the feedings into 4-6 servings. If she'll take more, then feel free to give her more. Slow and steady wins here.

She'll probably be on Metacam for the pain, plus some prophylactic antibiotics, and you may need to burrito her to administer these as well.

Take all the shelves and furniture out of her cage: you don't want her trying to jump anywhere for at least 2-3 weeks. If she is usually on woodchips, then you'll need to change her onto fleece, as woodchips can irritate the wound. Change the fleece 2 times a day minimum. Keeping her bed clean is very important.

Watch her very very carefully for any biting at the wound. If she does this, she'll unfortunately need a cone, in which case she'll be even more dependent on you for food and water intake. You may need to hand feed single strands of hay, if she gets a cone.

When 2 of my girls went through emergency spays (due to pyometra), I put a microwaveable heat pad in their cage. I warmed it just to a gentle heat, and they loved putting their sore tummies on it. If you do this, just make sure the pad is not too hot, and that your chin is capable of moving well away from the heat pad if she wants to.

It's gonna be a tough time for both of you, but you CAN get through it. Best wishes to the both of you, and so sorry for the loss of the kits xxxx

oh and I nearly forgot to say, no dust baths for 3 weeks either. Good luck.

Last edited:
Personally, I dont trust vets that much. I dont allow them to keep my animals overnight.

My Fattie ' s spay had several complications including her loosing about 150 g over 2 months. She got allergic reactions to her staples, causing infection, wouldn't eat, and refused to take meds nicely, hah. I couldn't help the allergies or refusal to eat but if I redid it I would have used a small cage with fleece and access to a warming pad.

When she did get an infection her normal cage was still too big and she would over exert her self (even with 0 shelves). Warm compresses 3 times a day really helped once she was swollen and I got an antiseptic wash from the vet to prevent more infections.

:( She passed away early Sunday morning. vet said he gave her electrolytes, fluids, and a steroid shot for the stress on Saturday. I don't know if he ever really got her to eat much...

that's horrible, did you say she lost two kits, maybe there was some kind of complication with the pregnancy that carried over. So sad I hope she is in peace.

Back