fellow rescue people

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

Hi I wanted to see how all of you who rescue and or run a rescue got started in rescuing chinchillas.

I know a lot of you are breeders who have taken on a few rescues. Do you get individuals often that ask for rescues?

Also for those of you who are not breeders how did you decide to start rescuing?

How did everyone get their name out to the community?

I know my bird rescue and dog rescue we get TONS more calls and emails from animals in need then we could ever possibly save. Do you chinchilla rescues receive the same amount of over whelming need?

How long would you say on average for a chin with no health issues takes to get adopted ? (for birds and dogs it could be months sometimes years but my local shelter contact says they make a "drawing" for exotics bc they are So popular when they come in. She declined ever needing help to find a chinchilla a home due to this)

If I was considering starting a small rescue for these guys what advice would you send my way? (Remember I do volunteer with many other rescues and have numerous years of rescue work.)

- On a separate note I have been watching a person who has been selling their chins online and they were selling a prego female for 50.00 more due to her current state. Now she has given birth to the babies and she and the rest of the chins are still for sale. How do you decide if it's worth paying for a chin? -- I from time to time will pay for a bird or a dog to get them out of harm’s way. If I know their owner doesn't care for them or are abusing them I will step in and offer them something to give up the animal. Most times they are more than happy to do so. NOT saying this person is abusing their animals!

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back