Feeling Stuck

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

My chins are getting boarded at a trusted boarding-vet facility, I already checked it out and stuff. They will be staying there for two weeks, but I have some concerns, mainly about cleanliness.

1. I'll be bringing their old cage, but their old cage has plastic. I don't want to use my current liners since I'm not sure if the vet will be able to wash them, and they're high quality liners so I don't want them to stay filthy for who knows how long. I definitely can't afford getting another set of liners (I only need pairs for the CN bottom pan and upper pan, I won't be using the shelves at all), so does anyone have advice on what to do in this situation?

2. Can liners be okay being changed once a week? I was thinking I could ask the vet to only change the liners once a week, but my chins aren't potty trained yet and I'm not sure even if they were if they would suddenly decide to pee on the liners. That way I would only need two sets and not like.. four. But if it's a health risk to the chins I won't do it.

3. What should I do about weekly cleaning? Being the worrisome owner I am, I'm nervous that the vet won't wash the water bottle (specifically the nozzle) correctly and there may be a chance of some soap residue being left. I'm pretty sure asking them to do other stuff such as wiping down wood surfaces and changing liners won't be an issue, so really the only thing left with the weekly cleaning is the water bottle cleaning problem. Can water bottles be left uncleaned for two weeks? It worries me just thinking about it..

4. Speaking about water, what should I do about making sure the water they use to refill the bottles is safe? I doubt they have a filter there, so do I just bring large bottles of water? If so, what would be the right kind?

I may ask more questions if I think of anymore.

I would ask them what the washing liners and stuff like that is like there. If they don't wash them then yes they can go a week between changes, they will just be stinky. However (and maybe I'm misunderstanding) if you aren't going to be using any shelving in the cage and they will be sitting on pee soaked fleece I would think daily or at least every other day cleaning/changing would be needed, or you run a risk of health issues. You could buy some cheap fleece blankets if you don't want to use liners. Another option, I don't know if you can or not it would depend on the cage, but is using shavings instead of fleece possible? They can easily go a week between shaving changes even if they aren't potty trained, unless the cage you are going to be using is tiny.

The bottles will be fine for a couple weeks, even if they just rinse them. I would think a vet's office would know how to wash things though, otherwise I wouldn't trust even bringing my chins there let alone boarding them there. As to the water itself, if the water were they will be staying is not safe to drink then just bring a jug of water, a gallon would be more then enough.

I would ask them what the washing liners and stuff like that is like there. If they don't wash them then yes they can go a week between changes, they will just be stinky. However (and maybe I'm misunderstanding) if you aren't going to be using any shelving in the cage and they will be sitting on pee soaked fleece I would think daily or at least every other day cleaning/changing would be needed, or you run a risk of health issues. You could buy some cheap fleece blankets if you don't want to use liners. Another option, I don't know if you can or not it would depend on the cage, but is using shavings instead of fleece possible? They can easily go a week between shaving changes even if they aren't potty trained, unless the cage you are going to be using is tiny.

The bottles will be fine for a couple weeks, even if they just rinse them. I would think a vet's office would know how to wash things though, otherwise I wouldn't trust even bringing my chins there let alone boarding them there. As to the water itself, if the water were they will be staying is not safe to drink then just bring a jug of water, a gallon would be more then enough.
They will have multiple ledges. The cage is a double CN. I would downgrade just for the boarding to a single level with a shelf but that seems too small for two chins. Bedding seems like a good idea, but would that prevent them from eating the plastic pans? I'm not too worried about the mess. They haven't shown interest in the pans before because they had toys, but I'm not sure if they'll change their minds since they'd be in a different place with no wheel.

Would it be acceptable if the bottles themselves were washed and not the nozzles? I feel like then it'd be easier to make sure there's no soap residue and it would be more sanitary than just rinsing them.

Ohh ok, should have just said you are bringing a CN, saying you are bringing their old cage made it sound like you had a different cage. So what you mean is you are just not putting the one plastic half cage shelf in, but they will have ledges instead though, that makes more sense. If that is the case and you don't want to use the liners you already have I would just buy some cheap fleece throw blankets at walmart or some place to use. If you can sew at all just make pillowcase style liners and put a folded blanket inside (to absorb pee), or even just fold the blanket in half and sew up one side, tucking the extra under the pan. If you can't sew just tuck the edges of the blanket under the pan and get some tiles or something to weigh down the corners so they can't pull it up.

I only do a full cleaning of the water bottles nozzles and all once a month, otherwise it's just a quick rinse and wipe of the bottle with the bottle brush between refills, so I'm sure they will be fine for two weeks with without scrubbing the nozzle. Or ask them what they do for water bottle cleaning and if they know how to wash a water bottle.

Ohh ok, should have just said you are bringing a CN, saying you are bringing their old cage made it sound like you had a different cage. So what you mean is you are just not putting the one plastic half cage shelf in, but they will have ledges instead though, that makes more sense. If that is the case and you don't want to use the liners you already have I would just buy some cheap fleece throw blankets at walmart or some place to use. If you can sew at all just make pillowcase style liners and put a folded blanket inside (to absorb pee), or even just fold the blanket in half and sew up one side, tucking the extra under the pan. If you can't sew just tuck the edges of the blanket under the pan and get some tiles or something to weigh down the corners so they can't pull it up.

I only do a full cleaning of the water bottles nozzles and all once a month, otherwise it's just a quick rinse and wipe of the bottle with the bottle brush between refills, so I'm sure they will be fine for two weeks with without scrubbing the nozzle. Or ask them what they do for water bottle cleaning and if they know how to wash a water bottle.
Alright. The chins will be fine with once a week fleece changes since they have ledges, right? Just double checking.

Alright. The chins will be fine with once a week fleece changes since they have ledges, right? Just double checking.
Yep, since they wont be sitting in their pee, as I said it might just get kind of smelly though. Ideally if not pee trained it's best to change the fleece at least twice a week. Since it's only a couple weeks, not permanent living situation, they should be ok with just once a week. Be prepared for them to be pretty mad at you when you pick them up though, small cage not getting changed as much, they wont be happy, lol.

Yep, since they wont be sitting in their pee, as I said it might just get kind of smelly though. Ideally if not pee trained it's best to change the fleece at least twice a week. Since it's only a couple weeks, not permanent living situation, they should be ok with just once a week. Be prepared for them to be pretty mad at you when you pick them up though, small cage not getting changed as much, they wont be happy, lol.
Yeah, but the cage is basically the same size as their current one unless you think they'd be okay with a single level? It'd be easier for me and the vet but if that's too small I won't do it.

Yeah, but the cage is basically the same size as their current one unless you think they'd be okay with a single level? It'd be easier for me and the vet but if that's too small I won't do it.
Ok I'm confused again, I thought you had them in a double CN cage, and that you would be just removing the top unit and having them in a single for the couple weeks? Is that not the case? Or is the CN your old cage and you have something else now? A single unit CN is big enough for two chins, but if they are use to a double unit then they just wont be happy about being stuck in a single for a couple weeks. It wont hurt them they will just not be happy about it, like you and a roommate only having access to half your house, it will feel cramped compared to what you are use to.

Ok I'm confused again, I thought you had them in a double CN cage, and that you would be just removing the top unit and having them in a single for the couple weeks? Is that not the case? Or is the CN your old cage and you have something else now? A single unit CN is big enough for two chins, but if they are use to a double unit then they just wont be happy about being stuck in a single for a couple weeks. It wont hurt them they will just not be happy about it, like you and a roommate only having access to half your house, it will feel cramped compared to what you are use to.
Double CN is their old cage, double FN is their new cage that's staying home. I'm bringing the CN to the vet and leaving it there for future boarding. I was planning on having them in the double CN during the boarding, but then I thought that it might be easier if they had a single level with a half shelf. If it'll make them depressed though, I won't do it. Sorry for the confusion!

Double CN is their old cage, double FN is their new cage that's staying home. I'm bringing the CN to the vet and leaving it there for future boarding. I was planning on having them in the double CN during the boarding, but then I thought that it might be easier if they had a single level with a half shelf. If it'll make them depressed though, I won't do it. Sorry for the confusion!

Ohh ok, yeah I would stick with just having the double unit then. Less stress on them if you don't have to downsize their cage size.

Back