Feeling Guilty and Overwhelmed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

I figured this is the only place anyone will understand this. I'm not looking for sympathy or anything. Just needed to tell someone (or several someones) who would get the stress of balancing life and a hedgie.

I'm taking care of these 4 rats for my boyfriend while he's studying abroad. I promised pictures and haven't had time but they're really cute and sweet. They are, however, a lot more work than 1 hedgie. It's four times the poop, four times the pee, four times the playtime, etc. I work 6 days a week for 8 hours each day, so I already struggle to get all the playtime in. To add to that, one rat bit another really bad and now I have to constantly be cleaning her wound, her separate enclosure, supervising sisterly snuggletime so that they don't get stressed out, researching :hair: It's ridiculous. She even came to work with me today. I'm so terrified that something bad is going to happen to one of the girls while Kelvin's away that poor Wall-e is getting left behind :'( We're having some snuggle time right now, but I feel so guilty. Nothing's ever come before one of my hedgies before, but since Molly's life is somewhat hanging in the balance, I've had to choose her over him a few times. I'm making an effort to give him as much love as I can. I love these girls, but I'm counting down the days til Kelvin comes home so that I can start lovin on Wall-e nonstop like usual! Luckily, he's one of those "all I need is food and my wheel" hedgehogs, or I'd feel even worse! Come oooooonnnnnn August! Get here fast!!

I think you can only do what you can do and as long as you make sure everyone gets some attention and play time, then at least you all can make it until his return in August. If you meant this upcoming August, just remember that's not too far away.

I don't know about rats, but does everyone need to have playtime every day? Can you do every other day or shorten play time for each so that you can fit them all in and still have time to do what you need to do every day? Is there anyone else who can give you a hand?

Hang in there...only a few more weeks!

I have to give them playtime with each other because they're currently separated. Two are littermates so if they are split up (and they have to be since one is the injured one) they get stressed out and show physical signs of stress. I'm probably just being too hard on myself because everyone seems to be doing just fine. I had been keeping a rat at a friend's place because she loves hanging out with them so they got their playtime through her but now they have to stay with me because of the whole bite ordeal. Oh well. 5 more weeks :)

Take a deep breath...do the best you can with them, that's all you can do. Sounds like your first priority is the injured rat. Keep everybody else clean and mentally stimulated (which may not necessarily mean taking them out every day if you don't have time). Add a new toy to their cages, take a couple of minutes to switch stuff around in their cage, give them scritches and talk to them as you are cleaning. It's a balancing act, but you can do it. August is almost here. :)

Latest posts

Back