Feel Safe About Your Drinking Water

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy-Chin

Once again, the safety of our drinking water supply is in question.

The water supply in our nation's capitol has been found to have high levels of chlorine toxins linked in some health studies to cancer, reproductive problems, and childhood developmental delays. Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident. The D.C. water system, and others like it around the country, has long been plagued with contamination problems.

Even drinking water that meets EPA standards can contain specified amounts of lead, arsenic, mercury, radioactive particles, and a long list of other poisons. That's why a growing number of people are turning to bottled water.

But bottled water doesn't guarantee purity or safety either. The reality is: even common tap water is held to much more stringent standards and undergoes far more regulated testing than bottled water.

The bottled water industry is largely self-regulated, which means there aren't any enforceable industry-wide standards ensuring consistent water quality. In fact, one FDA survey found that 31% of the 52 brands tested were tainted with bacteria, 29% of the bottling facilities exhibited poor manufacturing practices; and 31% had significant "deviations" in their tested water. These statistics are as startling as they are clear. You can't rely on bottled water for your drinking supply.

Then there are water filtration systems. I've seen and tested more of these than I can count and, by and large, I've found them just as unreliable as bottled water and possibly more dangerous. While filters using strainers of activated carbon, ceramic or alumina reduce disagreeable tastes and odors, they're not effective in removing contaminants like arsenic, copper, lead, nitrates, parasites, sodium, sulfates and the list goes on.

Even worse, filters can become a breeding ground for bacteria as the organic matter, which remains in the filter, begins to decay. Another drawback is that filters lose their effectiveness over time. As the filter reaches its absorption capacity, more and more impurities are left in the water—contributing to a higher risk of contamination and illness.

So how can you feel safe about your drinking water? My answer to this question is the same as it has been for years - distillation.

A quality distillation system will separate out virtually every kind of bacteria, virus, parasite, and pathogen, as well as pesticides, herbicides, organic and inorganic chemicals, heavy metals (dissolved or otherwise) and even radioactive contaminants leaving you with pure H20, just as nature intended.

Now, I've heard it said that there are some things distillation leaves behind that would be better kept in the water like minerals. But what most people don't realize is that the minerals you find in mineralized water are in salt form, not in the organic, carbon-based form that your body needs. So, I recommend eating a balanced daily diet, along with a good daily multi-nutrient for your minerals. As for what to drink, distilled water is still the only water that I trust.

I use the Waterwise™ 9000 Counter Top Distiller.

Last edited:
We have a well!! And when we tested the water last month it proved to be completely bateria and coliforms free, which is higher quality than what is expected at a test.

However, when we lived in an appartment, I always used the Brita system.

We also use the Britta filter system - the big one that goes on the kitchen sink faucet!

Hm, I've never really thought about it. There isn't much "stuff" in our tap water since it's very soft. Our family's always just boiled the water for drinking.

I use a Brita pitcher since we don't have a sink the faucet one will fit on. It has done great so far.

We use a Pur faucet filter in combination with a Brita pitcher, and we've been quite happy with it. A distiller isn't really reasonable for us right now.

One question though about distilled water- what about nutrients that are in filtered water or properly treated water? They (at least for humans) are actually helpful, I don't know if they are as needed for our critters, when I had frogs we needed distilled water because it was the best option and the nutrients were not good for them so I do not know! If you have ever tasted distilled water though it is nasty, a person would not think about water having a "flavor" until they have tasted that stuff!

So I honestly don't know if the good minerals and such are needed for a chinny, it would be really helpful to know. I currently use a filter and have not had problems. But you are right, tap water is in many regards safer than bottled because there are regulations and you can (and are supposed to) get a break-down of the content of your tap water- it doesn't take into account pipe corrosion or things like that but it is helpful. Crystal Gyser actually has a breakdown of the chemical content of their water on their website which I actually like so I tend to get that if I do get bottled. (my dad does water treatment- so this is at least what I remember from what he has told me!)

We have an RO system installed under the kitchen sink. That is what I use for the family (including the furry and scaly members).

I just do tap water here. Our tap water comes from 6 city wells and is good. (small city of less than 4,000 in population)

I would use distilled if we lived elsewhere though.

For those in larger cities, beware of flouride in your water. It could be deadly for your chins.

I had a well and had it tested for all of the above. It was insanely high in nitrites, so drilled a new one. This one's good, thankfully. It is very hard water and stinks at times but isn't too bad to drink. I still use a filter in the fridge mostly to keep it cold.

I've always used tap water wherever I lived with the chins. I grew up on the most awesome well water... yum.

Problem with boiling water is that while it does get rid of bacteria - it concentrates the really deadly stuff like arsenic and lead.

Latest posts

Back