Feed...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem

After reading the forums I've come to the conclusion that either Oxbow or Mazuri are the better feeds, I'm really just trying to figure out how "bad" the food I'm feeding to my chins and how urgent it is that I switch them.

Currently I am feeding them Kaytee Forti-Diet pro-health

I know it'll take some time to switch them over to the good stuff, but wondering if I should try make a move sooner... I'm not entirely sure what the pet store was feeding them, this was the one they recommended.

Thanks!

that Kaytee food has corn in it, in the first 6 ingredients (meaning the corn portion is fairly high), and corn is considered a filler and holds no nutritional value.

you could cold switch, meaning stop feeding the kaytee and start feeding the better pellet (i personally would go with Oxbow over Mazuri, but that is mainly because Oxbow is easier to find up here).

Oxbow and Mazuri are not the "better" feeds. They are just feeds that pet owners use more often because they are supposedly easier to find. Other feeds are just as good and are a lot cheaper than either of those feeds. I pay $14.99 a bag for 50 pounds of Nutrena. Compared to Oxbow or Mazuri that's a buttload of savings.

Aside from the ingredients in your Kaytee feed, the biggest issue is freshness. That stuff sits on a shelf for months and months, sometimes years, before it hits the store. By the time you get it, it's so old it could very well have zero nutritional value.

I agree though, of the 2 you mentioned, I would go with Oxbow.

Aside from the ingredients in your Kaytee feed, the biggest issue is freshness. That stuff sits on a shelf for months and months, sometimes years, before it hits the store. By the time you get it, it's so old it could very well have zero nutritional value.

The same can be said for both Oxbow and Mazuri in pet stores. They are more expensive than other brands at the pet stores and not all pretty with treats and colorful things, so they tend to sit for awhile too. They also have a "shelf life" of 2 years on the bag, but in all actuality they begin to lose their nutrition after 6 months. If you are interested in ordering online, Sandi on here sells Oxbow. She gets it fresh and ships it fast. If ordering online isn't an option, by far go with the Oxbow at the pet store. :)) Lots of people have had problems with Mazuri giving their chins soft stools.

You could also try contacting feed stores around you. I was lucky enough to find a store about 7 miles away that can get me 50 lbs bags of Tradition for $18. Other good brands you could find at feed stores include Nutrena, which Peggy mentioned, and Purina Rabbit Chow Show. Most stores carry feed in 25 or 50 lbs bags, but you could always sell the extra you don't use or donate it to a rescue.

Last edited:
Back