Fed unprepped wood...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewdrop

My mother was watching the chins over christmas, as my family and I went out of town. I've NEVER had any issues with this before.

But.....when I went down to resume my duties yesterday I noticed their chew sticks were off. It took only a few seconds to realize that my mother had been giving them unprepped wood.:tantrum:

It really is my fault. I am low on prepped and had the box of unprepped too close apparently, she just automatically went for the 'full' box.

If it changes anything the wood was cut several months ago so they are fairly air dry..

They all seem fine, however, what all do I need to watch for and how long do I need to watch for it?

Thanks..

If it's six months old, naturally cured and there wasn't anything on it you're fine.

Washing newly cut wood gets the dirt/critters off and baking ensures it won't mold as easily. However, if you're in an environment where you can naturally cure it and the wood is clean with no lichen/active critters you're fine.

When I lived in Eastern WA I never prepped wood. Just cured it and fed it to them but the climate was such that nothing grew on the tree bark. Too dry and hot. :)) Down here I have to scrub it.

Thank god. it is probably 6 months old. Stored in a cardboard uncovered box in the basement....

Does this mean I don't have to bake and scrub it all now? Lol

Does this mean I don't have to bake and scrub it all now?
If it was going to do anything to him it would have already done so.

The main problems chins have with unprepared green wood is toxic bugs and lichen. Most is harmless but some types give diarrhea or worse. Best to be safe. Obviously, if your wood had any of that on it, it would have already run it's course. The diarrhea usually only lasts 24-48 hours with the green wood.

I've never had any issues with 4 month+ cured wood.

AWESOME!!!! I was dreading prepping that box. so this is music to my ears on both counts!!!

And yeah they seem fine, no runny stool or anything. Being their regular bratty self's :p

Latest posts

Back