Favoring toss toys over hanging ones?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mircat

I have a couple hanging toys for my male chin but I haven't really seen him play with them. Occasionally he'll go check them out for a second but he doesn't chew on them at all. They are made of pumice, loofah, pecan wood, and soft shredder bits. The thing is, he goes crazy if I give him a piece of stick or shredder or anything in his hands. He'll demolish it pretty quickly even though it's the same stuff that hangs in his cage. Do some chins just prefer toss toys over hanging ones? Should I just use the bits on the hanging toys and give it to him in his hands from now on?

I think you should just give your chin options. Maybe one day he will start biting the hanging toys crazily and leave the toss ones alone. It's always good to give them more choices so they won't get bored. :)

You can try taking the hanging toys out for a day or two and then put them back in but in a different spot. They become brand new toys and may be more interesting. It could also be that he just doesn't like where you hung them.

Mine like the sticks they get handed each night but do chew on their hanging toys too. I would use Becky's advice or change to ones you can refill with a flavor wood they might prefer.

Some chins don't care for pumice or pecan. Maybe try some apple, mulberry or another variety? Mix it up and see what his favors in toy material. :)

Haha if Athena has a hanging toy, she finds a way to rip it off and turn the pieces into toss toys. But she seems to enjoy the destruction, so we still provide them. On a side note, she will show no interest in some toys for quite a while and then randomly decide it's her new favorite. Variety is key. Just switch the toys out frequently and keep him intrigued. :)

Latest posts

Back