Fans?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiaismypet

Hello.

Is it okay to put a fan beside my chin's cage to make it a bit cooler? I heard fans don't work on chins is that true, and why? The fan just helps make the room colder.

Thanks

I have 3 fans and 1 window ac. 2 small fans on top one on each side of the barn and 1 large fan underneath the a/c pointed upward. The fans I think just circulated the cold air flow.

You can have a fan in the room, just not blowing on the chin, that would create a draft and make the chin sick. Chins don't sweat, they don't have sweat glands, so unlike us where even warm air blowing over us evaporates and cools the sweat on us for a chin it just blows air. A fan would only be helpful to circulate already cool air, or pull cool air from one area to another, like from outside to the inside or around an air conditioned room. Unless the fan is actually cooling the air, dropping the temp not just feels cooler to you, it's doing the chin no good. I'm not sure if you are looking to use a fan instead of an ac, so in case you are, a fan does nothing for humidity, an ac works by pulling the humidity out of the air as well as cooling it. An ac + fan (just not directed at the chin) would work, as already mentioned, to keep air from getting stale or pooling in a large area/room.

Back