Famotidine dosing in chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterrx

My Chico has been on meloxicam for almost a year now, and on tramadol since November. He's doing great, considering the shape his poor teeth are in. He gets filings every 3 months, and with that, his pain meds, and handfeedings, his weight is holding steady and he's acting happy still. I've asked my vet about adding famotidine because of the long-term pain meds and she doesn't seem to think we need it as long as he's doing okay. What is a typical dose? (Chico weighs 870 g). I can get some famotidine over the counter and compound a suspension for him if I can find out what dose he would need.

Thank you!

Im not familiar with Famotadine and how Chinchillas do with it...but it makes sense given he is on the pain meds long term. I can look it up on our veterinary information site if you want...can't promise it will have much about chins and pepcid though.
In my opinion 870 grams is amazing for all he is going through! Its more than a few of my non malo chins weigh! :)

If you can find a dose on the vet site, that would be great! I found a source that says for cats and dogs it's 0.5 mg/kg every 12-24 hours. I'm not confident enough that that's the same scale for chins to go with just that information, though. I have no clue if a chin's metabolism would vary enough from a dog or cat to change that dosage.

I still have CJ's bottle of famotidine. His weight at that time was roughly 500-550 grams and the dosage on the bottle says -
4mg/ml 10 ml
0.05 cc (ml) 1 time daily

Richie is a little heavier and his dose is about .05. i dont even measure anymore. i put that & the tramadol plus liquid lifeline in a 1 ml syringe and he gets that every night.

there ya go :) If you need me to check the vet site still let me know but looks like you have a few things to go on now :)

there ya go :) If you need me to check the vet site still let me know but looks like you have a few things to go on now :)
With the doses and concentrations given, I have enough information to compound a suspension and calculate a dose for Mr. Chico. I appreciate the offer, though!

Thank you so much for all the help, everybody!

Back