Fabric for Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lirana

I know that fleece is safe for chins, but are there any other safe fabrics? Jersey (t-shirt) perhaps? What makes fleece so safe? And also, does it have to specify anti-pill fleece, or is any type of fleece okay? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on this. Thanks!

Fleece is really the only fabric you'll want to use with chins. It doesn't come apart in threads but rather chunks, so threads can't get wrapped around paws/legs/toes. It is also harder to destroy, so chins are less prone to chew on it leading to ingestion. This doesn't stop some, however, and they will still rip apart the fleece so it will need to be taken out.

I have used both blizzard and anti-pill fleece.

Thanks! Buying a bunch of fleece from JoAnn's cyber monday sale now. Too bad any of the patterns I want are sold out... Solid colors it is!

What about batting? I've seen tutorials for pan liners, hammocks, etc. that use batting between 2 layers of fleece. Is this okay since the batting is essentially hidden?

What about batting? I've seen tutorials for pan liners, hammocks, etc. that use batting between 2 layers of fleece. Is this okay since the batting is essentially hidden?
No, it is not safe to use batting with chins. They have been known to chew through fleece.

For pan liners, is fleece on its own absorbent enough for the pee? I'm guessing yes since they pee very little?

The fleece is fairly absorbent. My boys don't usually pee on it though, they usually pee in the litter pan. If some misses the pan the fleece soaks it up. I would not say that they pee very little though, I think it depends on the chin. One of my chins goes through a lot of water and pees quite often (3-5 times a day) compared to the other two that only go once or twice a day.

Back