Eyes watering

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bam.Bam

Well this past week or so I've noticed Kiwi's food dish being just about as full as it was when i filled up the night before. She only eats a little bit but she does eat some. I've given her lots of hay since maybe she's just not in the mood for alot of pellets and she eats most of the hay.. she's never been a big hay eater either. I gave her half the recommended dose of critical care 2 nights ago.. she wasn't thrilled but she was a trooper. So this morning I went to check on her food dish and her left eye is now watering. it wasn't wet but you can definitely tell it was at one point.

She is normally on Manna Pro Sho and she always has unlimited food in her dish but this morning I decided to try some left over shoots pellets i had from Yoshi and she snagged a few pieces out of my hand but now the watery eyes makes me think that it wasn't her just being picky about her food.

I'm worried its her teeth. My good friend is a vet, not an exotic but i figured she'd be able to handle teeth issues and take an xray if needed.

Is there anything else it may be that I should look out for? Should I move her away from everyone else or should I just continue to wash my hands before touching the others? If it's her teeth i don't think i have anything to worry about but i just want to be safe.

I'm going to keep up with the critical care and some lifeline so she's getting something.. she eats her ryersons supplement happily and chews on the dish and drags it around when she's done.

She also seems to shed a whole butt load of hair.. i don't know if that is relevent but i can literally pick hairs off her like when my husky sheds and it's not like a fur slip in big tufts.. its all over her back and butt.

If it was me, I would get the Xray done and see what, if anything,is going on with her teeth. But, if it ends up being her teeth, I would definitely seek the experience of an exotics vet.

Eye infections do not usually cause loss of appetite but they can. Whenever I have a watery eye I take the chin to the vet. I don't go straight for teeth or a x-ray, I have the vet get a idea of what it looks like in there with a otoscope exam, it it looks really good and there, no excessive saliva are no questionable areas then I have them dye the eye, look for scratches and leave with a antibiotic. If the infection does not get better withing 7 days I go back, have the chin put under for a oral exam and x-rays. If teeth show up as a issue the chin goes to the dentist.

When my guy had a watery eye, I took him to the vet and she found that he had an upper respiratory infection with a secondary eye infection. It was hard for him to breathe and chew, so he was eating less. I couldn't hear him wheezing, but she could hear it when she listened to him breathe with her stethoscope.

A trip to the vet is needed for sure....and watery eyes are a symptom for a lot of different things

Eye infections do not usually cause loss of appetite but they can. Whenever I have a watery eye I take the chin to the vet. I don't go straight for teeth or a x-ray, I have the vet get a idea of what it looks like in there with a otoscope exam, it it looks really good and there, no excessive saliva are no questionable areas then I have them dye the eye, look for scratches and leave with a antibiotic. If the infection does not get better withing 7 days I go back, have the chin put under for a oral exam and x-rays. If teeth show up as a issue the chin goes to the dentist.

ok thanks for all the details. my vet actually mentioned trying the otoscope exam first before doing an xray because she said it would be unlikely for teeth issues with how young she is (she's a little over a year old) unless her genetics are super bad but she is one of my 'rescues' and she was a pet store chin although her buddy Spyro came from the same place and actually seems pretty decently bred but i'm going to show him and see but of course i'll never know for sure of his background otherwise.

But anyway.. i'll forward all the info on. my friend who i'm taking her to first isn't a exotic but she said she would take a look for me.. she uses her general knowledge of other pocket pets and she's interested in knowing the basics so i've also been teaching her other things about chins.

Malo can show up at 11 months old, its rare but it can happen, it did to me but the watery eyes are in conjunction with the other symptoms of malo.

the only signs right now are watery eyes and not eating much of her pellets. She does eat her hay for the most part though and she still chews her ledges and toys. I'll hopefully have an appointment early this week.

ya I want to get in as soon as possible either way. They are closed today so i'm going to call tomorrow morning and see if i can get in tomorrow night or tuesday night.. they usually have openings closer to closing time.

Latest posts

Back