Eye Scab

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pants567

So I've already called the vet and I'm waiting for a call back, but yesterday I noticed what looked like eye gunk (kinda like a sleepy from a person) I cleaned it off and his eye looked fine, I searched the forum and found that chins can sometimes have sleepys or if dust or hay particles get in their eye it can cause a small amount of discharge. Well today I noticed it was back, so I took him out of the cage, wrapped him and cleaned it off with a q-tip, well then I saw blood on the q-tip. I took a closer look and it looks like there is a cut on his upper eyelid. I have no idea how it happened since there isn't anything sharp in his cage. Hopefully the vet will call back soon (he was in an appt) with some answers as to if I need to bring him in for some sort of anti-biotic cream or if there are things I can just do for him at home. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't know if I should just clean it with saline and dab on some neosporin.

You can wash it with saline but wait to talk with the vet before you put anything else on it. The saline is a good idea as long as you are gentle and applying it doesn't irritate the injury due to a struggling chin.

Took him to the vet! Things are looking like they'll be ok. He gave us some antibiotic cream to put on his eye twice a day for how ever long the tube lasts. Also said to hold off on dust baths until the cut heals. Soooo glad I got him to the vet so quickly, don't want any infections in this house! Too bad he is really mad at me now and bit my finger so hard it started bleeding. Fenrich is one angry chin today, at least he got SS gifts so maybe that will make him a bit happier.

I feel so bad for him =( I know it will help him get better and help his eye not get infected, but he hates the ointment so much. His fur is also getting all yucky around his eye because of the ointment, as well as the rest of his fur getting yucky looking from not having dust baths and being handled more. At least he is still eating and playing so he isn't completely miserable. Mostly I'm just worried that he's going to hurt his eye again because he keeps rubbing it to try to get the ointment off.

Back