Eye problem!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Last night I noticed Yuki was holding his right (left when veiwed) eye shut. He can open it, but seems to prefer holding that one closed. It seemed like the skin was slightly pink around that eye compared to the other which was greyer- but he is a mosaic, so I'm not sure if that's part of his natural skin coloration. I saw no wateriness or discharge. I went in to say goodnight, and after inspecting him and a few pictures he was mad at me so I left him alone.

This morning he's seeming to hold it more open, but only about halfway. it also seems slightly watery looking, but with no discharge. He isn't as active as normal but it seems more like he doesn't want to jump different ledges (maybe eye-judgment stuff?) more than a lethargy. Also, he didnt eat his rosehip from last night. I dont know if thats just because its on a different ledge from his sleeping hut and he didnt want to jump over or what. This morning, worring it was about his teeth I gave him some thin grapevine and he gobbled that up. No favoring of any part of his mouth. His mouth/nose all seem fine to me. But I know chins get deep teeth problems. He did paw swipe at his eye once, and REALLY doesn't want me touching that side of his face, even though he's loving his scritches on the other side like normal. He still is friendly and coming forward for attention but when I peek in on him he hasnt moved around.

I thought of pink eye-but no one's had it. Chewing seems fine and theres no drool. Boyfriend thinks he just got something in his eye.

Things that've changed.
-Moving into a new house a week ago- but no signs until today. He's got his own room with only chin stuff in there. (it's an estate in the family we're renting so there's no pink eye from a previous person or anything)
-Currently changing from an old to new bag of Mazuri.
-My parent's dog visited the house two days ago. He moved from a house with that dog's son and another dog but maybe a specific animal allergy thing? He didn't start the eye stuff until after, but the fur could've been around still.
-RO water bottles for the past week instead of filtered city water since we've got well water and the local city water had issues recently anyways
Thats all I can think of...

ANY advice is welcome. I'm not sure if this morning's more open is the eye clearing up-maybe he just got something in his eye and it's watering out? I know I'm prone to worrying but chins also give so few signs of issues. I only have two vets that claim to know chins within an hour drive, but I dont know if they're the kind of vet that'd think chins need to be treated like rabbits/gerbils. I'm working on talking to the vets to see what they'd recommend and get an appt, but I'd love advice from this end since there's a bunch of you with a ton of experience.

Since it came on sudden it most likely is a scratch on the eye-vet would check for it and confirm with a black light and dye and then RX the appropriate drop-it should be treated be a vet since it can become infected easily.

Latest posts

Back